Chapter 23: The Reception

Matthew and I make our way down the aisle, followed by our bridal party. We hop on the golf carts waiting for us at the back of the event yard- time for photos!! Our guests make their way to the reception hall.  After about an hour of driving around the vineyard, Anna and Kent capturing breathtaking photos, we head to the reception hall to meet our guests. The reception hall is a large rustic barn built into the side of a hill, large barn doors open to an elegantly decorated patio on the lower level, while a balcony wraps around the upper half of the building. We can hear music playing, and guest mingling as we approach. The gold carts pull up to the back of the barn. Anna and Kent enter the barn first to inform the DJ the bridal party entrance is about to begin. The DJ makes an announcement and our guests usher themselves into the main event hall in the barn. The DJ begins to play some upbeat music while he introduces the bridal party, finally, the DJ announces the newly married couple.

"Put your hands together for Matthew and Kaylie GUBLER!!!" shouts the DJ.

Matthew and I enter the hall, hand in hand, waving and smiling to our guests. The music fades. 

"If all guests could be so kind as to clear the dance floor, it is time for the happy couple's first dance," the DJ says. 

Matthew holds out his left hand for me, I place my right hand in his and my left on his shoulder, his free hand gently snakes around my waste as 'I Get To Love You' by Ruelle plays softly in the background. 

I get to love you
It's the best thing that I'll ever do
I get to love you

Whatever may come, your heart, I will choose
Forever I'm yours, forever I do
I get to love you, I get to love you

And they say love is a journey
I promise that I'll never leave
When it's too heavy to carry
Remember this moment with me

 We sway and spin to the music. As the music fades;

I get to love you
I get to love you
I get to love you

Matthew pulls me closer, both his hands holding tightly onto my lower back, my arms draped around his neck, he rests his forehead against mine for a moment before placing a gentle kiss on my forehead as the song ends.

We pull apart and I look around the room to see out guests smiling and "aww-ing" at us. The DJ announces that it is time for the mother of the groom to make her way to the dance floor. As I make my way off the dance floor I pass Matthew's mother, she pulls me in for a quick hug before meeting Matthew in the center of the dance floor. Their dance is so sweet, it's to a slightly more upbeat song and is filled with spinning, swirling, smiles, and laughter.  When the song ends, Matthew and his mother give each other a small kiss on the cheek and make their way off the dance floor. The DJ announces that it is now time for the bride to make her way back to the dance floor, for the father-daughter dance. My stomach drops and my heart sinks before I see Joe make his way to the edge of the dance floor with a microphone. He gestures for me to come out. I slowly make my way onto the dance floor, keeping my head down, holding back the tears I can feel welling behind my eyes. 

"My dearest Kaylie," Joe begins " I know you were not expecting this, and I cannot imagine how hard it must be to stand here on your wedding day without your family present. Just know they are here with you in spirit.  ---Shemar, Thomas, Gray, and Matthew's Father make their way up to stand next to Joe---  Kaylie you have been such a light in our lives since the day we've met you, and you have made Matthew happier than anything in this world ever has. We are honored and grateful to call you a part of our family, so if you would allow, myself and a few others would be honored to share this dance with you." Joe finishes, handing the microphone back to the DJ. I nod and smile at the men who stand before me, a new song begins to play and Joe steps forward first. 

I take his hand and we begin to sway to the music.
" Thank You for everything Joe," I say softly into his ear. 
"Anything for you my dear, you truly have become like a daughter to me, and I want nothing more than your utmost happiness" Joe replies. 

After a few minutes, Shemar comes up and taps Joe on the shoulder. 

"May I cut in?" he asks, winking at me. Joe steps aside and I take Shemar's hand.
"How are you doing baby girl?" Shemar asks. 
"I'm doing great," I say smiling at him. 
We talk and laugh as we spin around the dance floor. Before we know it, Gray is cutting in for his turn. 

"Welcome to the family sis," he says as he twirls me around.
"Thank You, Gray, that means more to me than you can imagine," I say giving him a small hug. 
Up next, Thomas cuts in.

"I just want you to know, I have two left feet," Thomas says with a small laugh.
"Me too!" I say enthusiastically. 

We dance and laugh until Matthew's father steps up and places a hand on Thomas's shoulder signaling that it was now his turn. Thomas takes my hand places a small kiss on my knuckles and takes a bow. 

I stand facing Matthew's father, who holds out his hand for me. We don't speak at first, I place my free hand on his shoulder, his hand in the middle of my back. After a minute or so he pulls me a bit closer and begins to speak softly.

"Kaylie, I want to thank you for making my son happy, truly happy. You probably don't know this, but he called me the day after he met you, and he said 'Dad, I met the girl I'm going to marry'. I laughed and played along, but the moment I met you I knew what Matthew had said was true, I knew you would be my daughter-in-law one day. I couldn't be happier that that day has finally come. Kaylie, I can't imagine how you must be feeling after the events of the past several weeks, but I want you to know, you are a part of this family, we couldn't be happier to have you in our family. Know that you can come to me, or Matthew's mother about anything, we are here for you sweetie. We love you." 
My eyes well with tears, a single one escapes and falls down my cheek, Matthew's father brushes it away with his thumb and pulls me into a gentle embrace. 
"Thank you...D-Dad?" I stutter, looking shyly up at my new father-in-law. He nods and kisses my cheek. The song ends, and more upbeat music begins to play. 

"Now it's time for everyone to dance!" The DJ shouts, the dance floor crowds with guests. Matthew and our bridal party are soon surrounding me. We dance and laugh. Dinner is served, toasts are made, we dance some more. Just before the reception was about to end the DJ comes over the speakers. 

"If everyone could please make their way outside to the patio, the groom has planned a special treat for you all."

We make our way outside, guests scattered over the patio, lawn, and balcony. We all look up as a flash of light fills the sky. Fireworks. In radiant purples and teals paint the sky.

"That was beautiful," I say in awe of the final fireworks exploding in the dark night's sky.

"Yes you are," Matthew says. I look over and he's staring at me with that big silly grin on his face. I blush and wrap my arms around his waist, he pulls me closer and wraps his arms around my shoulders placing a gentle kiss on the top of my head. 

When the fireworks are over, we begin to say goodbye to our guests, some are leaving to go home, some are heading to nearby hotels. The bridal party and Matthew's immediate family are staying here with us at the vineyard tonight. Matthew's parents will take the suite I used the previous night, the girls are sharing a smaller suite down the hall, and Matthew and I are sharing the honeymoon suite for tonight before we head tomorrow on our honeymoon--destination is a secret; the "team" planned it for us as a surprise. 

Tonight was the best night of my life.