Chapter 32: Now We Wait

Kaylie's Point of View

I wake up, but I'm not chained up in the same dark room I was.  Where was I now? I'm not chained anymore, I'm not even tied to a chair or anything. I see a door, I make my way towards it when I realize I'm on the second floor of some kind, I see no stairs, I hear a ticking noise. I turn around and see the back of a clock, standing about 3 feet tall. Am I in a clock tower? Wait this is just like the episode we filmed..it all makes sense now. I just can't place where I've met the man who took me. I see the door open, a man walks inside. Next thing I know he's emerging from beneath the floor, there was a ladder, I didn't see it in the dark. He paces back and forth. The clock chimes. 2am. 

"Times up!" he says as he lunges towards me. I step out of the way just in time, he misses and falls to the floor. I run towards the ladder, I'm halfway down before I see him emerge from the second floor, he shakes the ladder, I lose my footing and fall the second half of the way down, I hit the ground hard. I hear voices shouting, the door burst open. I see men with guns. 

"Jeremy Kline, on your knees now!" one of the men shout. I see two men holster their guns and rush towards me. 

"Kaylie? Kaylie Gubler? You're safe now" I hear as I lose consciousness. 

Matthew's Point of View

Kaylie has been in the hospital for 4 days, she hasn't woken up yet. She nearly didn't make it. The doctors say she was extremely malnourished, on top of already being so weak from the pregnancy, she was beaten badly and lost a lot of blood. The doctors couldn't save the baby, he, we were having a baby boy, was already gone when we found her. She has IV's and wires connected all over her, a breathing tube down her throat, she's too weak to even breath on her own.  The "team" has been taking shifts coming in to visit Kaylie and to check up on me. They say I should be happier, we found her, she's home, but I can't be happier. She's not home yet, I don't even know if she's going to make it out of this hospital room. I should have been with her, to protect her, I should have believed her when she mentioned the black ford. I should have done more. I sit by her bedside, holding her hand, she's so frail. I fall asleep. 

I don't know how long I was sleeping before I'm woken by a nurse asking me to stand to the side. I look over and see a doctor pulling the tube out of Kaylie's throat, a nurse adjusting her fluids. I see Kaylie's eye flutter open and shut, she coughs when the tube is out. 

"Matthew? The Baby?" Is all she manages to say before going into a fit of coughing. The nurse places an oxygen mask over her face. The doctor finishes checking her and the nurse gives me the okay to come closer. 

"Kaylie" I whisper, grabbing her hand and placing it to my lips. "You're safe, you're safe now."

Kaylie looks up at me and starts crying. I sit on the edge of the bed and pull her close to me. She buries her face in my shoulder, grasping at my shirt. I hold her tightly against my chest, kissing her forehead. 

"The baby?" I hear her whisper into my shoulder as she removes the oxygen mask.

"I'm so sorry dear, the doctors, they couldn't save him," I say through tears.

She pulls away slightly and looks up at me "we were going to have a son?"

I nod my head, she begins sobbing harder into my shoulder. I hold her close, the only thing I can do for her now. 

"Grayson Elliott Gubler" Kaylie whispers as she falls asleep in my arms. 

Kaylie's Point of View

I wake to the sound of beeping, and bright lights. Where am I? Why can't I breathe? I try to cough, but it's no use. I see a man run towards me, tells me to relax, I can feel him pulling the tube from my throat. My whole body aches. 

"Matthew? The baby?" I ask before going into a coughing fit. The nurse places an oxygen mask over my face. The doctor checks me out, shining a light into my eyes, listening to my lungs. 

"Kaylie" I see Matthew coming towards me, he grabs my hand and kisses my palm. "You're safe, you're safe now."

I start crying, burying my face into Matthew's shoulder. He's okay, thank god he's okay.

"The baby?" I ask removing the oxygen mask.

"I'm so sorry dear, the doctors, they couldn't save him," Matthew says, he's crying too.

"We were going to have a son?" I whispered looking into Matthew's eyes. 

He nods and pulls me close to his chest. 
I hold onto my husband, I'm safe, he's okay, we're okay. Our baby is in a better place.

"Grayson Elliott Gubler" I whisper as I fall asleep in Matthew's arms.

"Grayson Elliott Gubler" Matthew whispers back to me. 

I wake up, Matthew still next to be on the tiny hospital bed, holding my hand, I notice a nurse checking my IV bag.

"Hello sweetie, glad to see you're doing better. You have some visitors waiting. Want to wake your man there? I'll send your friends in" She says gesturing to Matthew. "He hasn't left your side all night," she adds before exiting the room. 

There's a knock on the door and in walks AJ, Kirsten, Paget, Thomas, Shemar, and David. 

"Kaylie we're so glad you're okay. Matthew was devastated. He never gave up, he helped the agents find you!" AJ says. 

I catch up with the others, and soon Matthew wakes up. Somehow AJ and David talk Matthew into going home to shower and put some clean clothes on. The others stay with me until he gets back. 

The doctor says I'll be in the hospital for a few more days, Matthew doesn't leave my side. We don't say much while I'm there.

"Okay Kaylie," the doctor says looking at my chart, "I just need a few signatures and you are free to go!"

"Thank You so much Doctor," I say signing the discharge forms. 

Matthew wheels me out to the car, finally I'm headd home.