Chapter 39: Return to Normalcy

In the next several weeks following our anniversary, our life starts to return to normal. Kaylie continues to meet with Dr. Matherson, we even have a couples session twice a month to work through things together. Kaylie goes back to work part-time at the hospital and returns to the show as a recurring 'main' character, that way she's not pressured into being in every episode, having to deal with crazy shooting schedules. The producers try to film as many of my scenes on the same day as possible so that I can spend time with Kaylie. We go out on dates again, we hang out with the "team" and Kaylie even goes out with some of her friends from the hospital.

Kaylie is still a bit shy around me when we are alone. She doesn't change clothes in front of me, she showers alone, we haven't had sex, but she is more comfortable sleeping in the same bed again, she started out just holding my hand, gradually was able to spoon and cuddle, now she sleeps as if nothing happened, head resting on my chest, arms wrapped around me, legs usually draped over mine. We did have a steamy make-out session one night, she had pulled my shirt half off before she realized what she was doing, she stopped so suddenly and looked terrified. She settled down and told me wasn't ready to do anything more than make-out, she just got carried away, I assured her it was fine and we just cuddled and went to sleep.  

  •••••••••• •••••••••• •••••••••• •••••••••• ••••••••••  

"Are you ready yet?" Kaylie shouts through the door.

"Almost! Just have to add the finishing touch!" I reply. It's Halloween and Kaylie and I are hosting a costume party. Kaylie's all time favorite Halloween (and Christmas) movie is The Nightmare Before Christmas, so naturally we are dressing as Jack Skellington and Sally. Kaylie handmade our costumes, I'm just finish up my Jack face-paint and walk into the bedroom.

"You look amazing!" Kaylie exclaims. 

"And you look beautiful!" I say as I wrap my arms around her waist, pulling her body close to mine. I lean in for a kiss, she stops me by placing her index finger against my lips. 

"I'm not about to mess up either of our face-paints!" she laughs "Now come one, everyone will be here soon!" She says as she takes my hand and drags me downstairs. We are in the kitchen setting out the snacks and drinks when we hear a knock at the door. We open it to find Shemar, Kirsten and Paget. 

"Trick-or-Treat" they shout in unison, laughing, we step aside and let them enter. Paget is dressed as Cleopatra, Kirsten is a bumble bee, and Shemar is a very shirtless gladiator.  Soon after AJ shows up dressed as a female pirate, David is a Victorian vampire, and Thomas dons a referee costume. 

"Drinks and snacks are in the kitchen, games and music are in the backyard. There will be no passing out on our couch or throwing up in our bushes!" Matthew jokes. 

"Yeah, yeah, we know the drill, lead us to the drinks pretty boy!" Shemar says laughing.

Everyone is having a good time, playing games, not properly I might add, when I notice Kaylie standing off to the side. I haven't seen her have a drink yet tonight, she's downing water though. I walk over to her.

"Is everything okay?" I whisper to her. 

"Yeah, everything is fine, why?" she asks in reply. 

"I just noticed you haven't had a drink all night." I say.

"I've had like 3 water bottles," she says, looking at me confused. 

"No, you haven't had a drink, you've been off of your meds for weeks now, Dr. Matherson says it's okay to have alcohol again. I'm not saying you have to, it's totally up to you, but we did make that fruity concoction from Kirsten's party two years ago that you loved!" I say.

"I know I can, it's just been so long.."she trails off. 

"How about this, I'll get you a small one, you can sip it, see how you feel, if you want more, it's there, if not, you can pour it down the drain. I want you to have fun, and not miss out. I'm here, I had my one drink when the party started, but I'm DD tonight in case any of these guys need it" I say pointing a thumb to our guests. "I'll make sure you're okay!"

Kaylie looks up at me with wide eyes, her face scrunched in thought, "okay, one, SMALL, drink!" she smiles. I disappear into the kitchen and return with a bright orange and purple drink. "thank you she says, taking a small sip, which turns into a bigger sip, "I forgot how good these were!"

The night continues with all the shenanigans you can imagine, Kirsten talked us into playing 'drunk' twister, we bobbed for apples, started a bet on who would throw up first, and danced the night away. David and Thomas left early, AJ soon to follow, she wanted to get back to her boys before Halloween was officially over. That left a drunk Shemar and Paget, and a very drunk Kirsten. I think Kaylie was even a bit tipsy, I saw her drink two more of the fruity cocktails we made. Thankfully, our remaining guests called an Uber to take them home, so I didn't have to leave Kaylie. After I walked them to the car, I returned to find Kaylie, trying to clean the kitchen. 

"Kaylie, sweetie, leave it, I'll clean up in the morning, let's go to bed." I say softly, rubbing my hand up and down her arms. She smiles and nods, we turn to go upstairs, when she trips, I catch her before she falls and decide to just scoop her up and carry her to the bathroom. I sit her on the sink and help wash off all the blue face-paint. She goes out to the bedroom to change while I wash off my own face-paint. When I return the bedroom, face and hair washed, and changed into pajamas, Kaylie is still fully dressed, she took her boots and tights off, but got distracted looking out the window, it's a full moon, she loves looking at the full moon. 

"Kaylie, let's get you into pajamas and into bed." I say walking over to her. 

"I couldn't reach the zipper" she says, straining her arm trying to reach the zipper that's half way down her back. I unzip the dress, and she steps out of it, letting it fall to the floor. She's wearing black lace panties and a matching bra, she undoes the braid in her hair letting her long dark brown locks fall onto her back. I look at her for a moment, it's been so long since I've  seen her body, like this. I refocus and hand her a pajama top, as soon as she takes it, she drops it onto the bed, throwing her arms around me, pressing her lips to mine, my hands grasp at the bare skin of her waist, she tugs at my shirt, lifting it over my head, I pull her closer to me, it's been so long since I've felt her skin on mine, she pulls me with her onto the bed, I miss her lips, and down her neck. What am I doing? I jump up, grabbing my shirt, handing her pajamas to put on. 

"What, did I do something wrong?" Kaylie says, tears welling behind her eyes.

"Kaylie, we can't do this, you've had quite a bit to drink tonight, you're not thinking straight, I don't want you to do something you might regret tomorrow." I say softly to her as she slips her shirt on. I sit next to her.

"I'm fine, don't you want to? Don't you love me?" she says, tears beginning to fall down her cheeks. 

"Of course I love you! and of course I want to, trust me I want to, but Kaylie, you're drunk, I can't take advantage of you like that, I don't want you to make a snap decision, I can't risk us losing all the progress we've made." I say, rubbing circles onto her back, she finally lets me do this again. 

"I guess you're right," she says flatly, she turns and crawls under the blankets, I do the same. Kaylie lays with her back towards me for a while, but soon she turns over, falling in place next to me, head on my chest, arms around my stomach, leg draped over mine. 

"I love you," she whispers before falling into a deep sleep. 

"I love you too," I whisper, kissing the top of her head.