Chapter 38: Our Anniversary pt.2

I stand next to Kaylie on the bridge, listening to her pour out her feelings to me. I had no idea she had so much guilt about what had happened, none of it was her fault. 

"Matthew, I love you, more than anything, and if you'll give me the chance I want to, need to make it up to you, to be the wife I should have been from the beginning. Matthew, I miss you, I miss my husband." she finishes, bursting into tears, I started crying soon after she started speaking. I can't help myself, I don't even think, I pull her into my arms, wrapping them around her tightly, letting her crying into my shirt. 

We're going to be okay, she's going to be okay, I think to myself. I stand holding Kaylie until I feel her breathing steady out, she has stopped crying. I loosen my grip and pull away slightly, arms still around her, stroking her back. 

"Do you still want ice cream?" I ask with a small smile. Kaylie starts laughing, her smile brighter than I've ever seen it. 

"Yeah, I think I do," she says through her laughter. I wipe away her tears (and smudged mascara), lace my fingers through hers and lead her to the ice cream shop at the corner of the park. We continue to talk on our way there. We both agree to forgive ourselves, and not hold on to any more guilt, to be 100% honest with each other going forward, and to trust that we will be there for each other no matter what. We know getting back to normal is going to take a bit more time, but we will both out in the effort to get back to where we want to be. We order our ice cream, a vanilla cone with sprinkles for me and a chocolate peanut butter ripple for Kaylie, we make our way back to the car as we eat out ice cream in silence and head home. 

"I know we just had ice cream, but are you hungry?" I ask as we pull into the driveway.

"Real food actually sound great, I only had that slice of cold pizza today.." she says. 

"How does thai sound?" I ask, she nods her head in agreement as we make our way to the front door. "Okay, let's sit out on the patio, it's a beautiful night, we can wait for our food out there," I say, taking her hand leading her out to the patio. We walk through the dark house, I slide the patio door open, it's dark, I flip the switch on the wall, fairy lights switch on and twinkle in the moonlight, in front of us a table, adorned with candles, flowers, and steaming hot plates of thai food.  Soft music plays in the background. I owe Kirsten, AJ, and Shemar big time, it's perfect.

"What? How?" Kaylie asks, looking at me with a confused expression. 

"I wanted to do something special, as we've already gone over tonight things have been strained between us, but I didn't want that to take away from us celebrating our first year of marriage, no matter how many crazy things have happened," I say, leading her to the table. 

"You are amazing," she says, standing on her tiptoes, placing a small kiss on my cheek. 

We eat our meal, talking and laughing like old times like nothing had ever gone wrong. When we finish our meal, I clear the plates, before grabbing Kaylie's gift from the office. AJ wrapped it for me when they set up. 

"Kaylie, this is for you," I say handing her the gift.

"I..I didn't get you anything.." she says, clearly upset. 

"Kaylie, sweetie, it's fine, all I need is you," I say reassuring her. She takes the gift and gently unties the gold ribbon wrapped around the deep purple wrapping paper AJ used, being careful not to rip the paper as she exposes the book inside. She turns it over and begins flipping through the pages, I stand in front of her, to anxious to sit.

"Matthew, what...you made this?" she looks at me, partly confused part in awe. 

"I did, it's all the important, amazing, funny, life-changing, special moments that have happened with us beginning the day we met. I wanted to show you how special out life is, how much I love you, how I wouldn't have changed anything...well almost anything" I say with a small chuckle. She spends the next few minuted looking through the pages, running her fingers over the paintings, reading what I've written on every page. I stand shifting weight between my feet, does she like it, have I made a terrible mistake. She closes the book, sets it on the table and before I'm able to process what's happening, her arms are around my neck, toes barely touching the ground, I wrap my arms around her waist, lifting her completely off the ground, I bury my face in the crook of her neck, I can feel her hands in my hair. I lean down a little so that her feet are touching the ground once again. She pulls back slightly, hands still around my neck, my hands still firmly gripping her waist. I press our foreheads together.

"I've missed this, I've missed you," I whisper. Before I know it, Kaylie presses her lips to mine, lightly at first, her lips part slightly, her hands begin to tangle in my hair, the kiss intensifies, our breathing becomes heavier, her tongue grazing over my teeth, I gently bite her bottom lip, I run my hand up her back, pulling her close to my body, lips still pressed together. She pulls away slowly, I kiss her forehead. 

"There's something else I have to tell you," she whispers. "Promise you won't get mad at me for not telling you sooner. I just didn't know how." 

"You can tell me anything, my dear," I say, placing my hand on her cheek, tilting her head up so we are looking into each other's eyes.

"The doctor, he was..wrong...well not wrong exactly, something changed," she says, "Just, before I tell you, please understand, I'm not ready, yet, there's still so much we need to work through, together, but it's something I still want...one day, and I hope you do too..I CAN have children."

Kaylie is able to have children. We can have a family. I was not expecting her to say that I'm shocked. We can have a family! I think to myself.

"Matthew, please say something," Kaylie says, bringing me out of my own thoughts. I wrap my arms around her waist, pick her up, and spin her around. I feel her wrap her arms around my neck. I stop spinning before I get dizzy and we end up on the ground. I gently place Kaylie back down. 

"You're not mad?" she asks.

"Of course not, why would I be mad? Kaylie, this is amazing news. We can have our own family, our own biological children!" I nearly shout in excitement. Kaylie smiles brightly. "Please just make sure to talk to me, so I know you're ready, so we know we are ready, I NEVER want you to feel pressured into anything you're not ready for, but Kaylie, we're going to have a family one day, and that is the best anniversary present you could ever give me. I love you. 

"I love you too,"Kaylie says softly.