Chapter 10: I Love You

Over the next several months Matthew and I spent as much time as we could together between our work schedules. Matthew was away for 3 months filming a new movie that was to be released early the following year. 

  • • • • • • • • • • 

Matthew and I are in the hot tub relaxing on Friday night, Matthew had just gotten back on Wednesday from 3 months of filming on the east coast.

"Are you ready to go inside?" Matthew asks.

"I suppose, it's getting late, we should probably get to bed," I reply.

As always Matthew helps me out of the hot tub and wraps a towel around my shoulders. I head straight to the guest bathroom to take a quick shower and change into PJ's. The guest bathroom has become my bathroom. I have make-up and soaps, my toothbrush, clothes, and towels all over the place. I sleep over most nights when Matthew is home. Our schedules are so hectic, we don't have much free time together so we take all the time we can get. Matthew even re-decorated the guestroom I slept in on the day we first met. He bought new bed sheets and artificial flowers and some wall hangings in my favorite colors: purple, teal, and lime green. After I shower, get dressed, put my hair up in a messy bun and remove the last of my make-up I head downstairs to the living room. Matthew is already sprawled out on the couch with a blanket, a movie ready to go and enough snacks to feed a small army. I sit down next to him, draping my legs over his knee. He spreads the blanket over us, kisses my temple and starts the movie. I begin to doze off. Matthew shakes my shoulder a bit to wake me up. 

"The movie is almost finished, stay awake a little longer" Matthew whispers in my ear. 

"I'll try" I whisper back. 

I manage to stay awake, but just barely. Matthew turns off the TV before scooping me up to carry me up to my bed. He pulls back the covers, sets me down gently and lets me curl up before placing the covers over me. 

"Goodnight mademoiselle," Matthew says softly as he kisses my forehead. He turns to leave the room, I grab his hand. 

"Sit with me for a while?" I ask. 

"Of course my dear," Matthew says. 

I move over a bit and sit up as Mattew sits down on the bed, sitting back against the headboard with a pillow behind his head. I curl up next to him, wrapping my hands around his waist, resting my head on his chest, listening to his heartbeat. He pulls the covers over us and wraps his arms around my shoulders, resting his chin on the top of my head. I didn't realize I was I humming as I fall asleep When You Fall In Love by Andrew Ripp. This is the song Matthew played that night we danced in my living room and it's been one of my favorites ever since. As I hum, drifting off to sleep, I hear Matthew sing softly. 

When you fall in love
You lose control
You can't hang on and you can't let go
When you find the one
You hold on tight
You weather every storm
Till the sun shines
Even when it hurts, there's no regret
Every breath you give, is one you get
When you fall in love
It even rains in the summertime, honey
But I'll keep you dry
Plenty of room under my umbrella
For your *blue* eyes
And all I see
Is you and me, baby tonight  

*Matthew changed the lyric of Brown eyes to Blue, to match the color of my eyes. *

I'm almost asleep and I've stopped humming. I can feel the rise and fall of Matthew's chest as he breathes, I focus on his heartbeat. I hear Matthew whispering something, but I didn't hear what, he gently shifts me so that he can get off the bed. He pulls the covers up to my shoulders, kisses my forehead and says one more thing. 

" I Love You" Matthew whispers. I smile as I drift off into a deep sleep. 

The next morning I wake to the smell of coffee and bacon coming from the kitchen. I go to the bathroom, brush my hair and teeth, and go downstairs to find Matthew cooking up a storm. On the patio table outside he already has a bowl of fresh berries, orange juice, yogurt and granola, coffee, toast, poached eggs with sautéed mushrooms, onions and spinach. He meets me outside carrying a plate of bacon.

"Breakfast is served, Mademoiselle," Matthew says in a cheesy fake accent.

"You are amazing," I say as he pulls my chair out for me.

We eat and talk and sip on our coffee most of the morning.

"Breakfast was delicious, but you really didn't have to go through all the trouble!" I say.

"Only the best for the woman I.." Matthew hesitates. He doesn't finish his sentence. He starts to clear the table. I take the plate from his hand, set it back down on the table, taking his hands in mine. I stand on my tippy toes place a quick peck on his cheek and whisper
"I love you too" into his ear.

"Wait...what?..how did you..." Matthew stumbles over his words.

"I heard what you said last night before I fell asleep," I say.

"I thought you were asleep. I didn't think you would hear me, you haven't before." Matthew says.

"Before? How many times have you told me...well you know." I say.

Matthew looks at me anxiously. "I've said that every night you sleep here, and every night we aren't together when I hang up the phone. I've done it for about 4 months now." He says.

"Why have you only said it to me when I'm asleep or couldn't hear you? Did I do something wrong? We're you afraid I wouldn't feel the same way?"I ask.

"We've only been together 7 months, I didn't want to scare you away. I just.."

I cut him off with a kiss.

"I love you, Matthew Gray Gubler"

"And I love you, Kaylie Laurel Morrison"