Chapter 44: Preparations

"Matthew!! That is not how you paint a ceiling!" I shout, laughing as paint drips on my forehead.  He looks down at me. 

"Ahh, I'm sorry! too much paint" he says stepping off the ladder, pulling a rag from his pocket to wipe already smeared paint off of me. 

"It's okay," I say laughing "it looks really good!" I gestured to the ceiling. Matthew is painting designs, in a very light purple, almost white so that during the day you can hardly tell it's there, but at night will faintly glow. 

"This is nothing compared to what you've done!" he says, pulling me into a hug. "The baby will love it!"

We've painted the wall a light purple textured gradient, and for the past week, I've been painting mandala feathers around the walls.

"We should probably go get ready, my parents will be here in 2 hours," Matthew says kissing the top of my head. 

"I guess so, but we're running out of time to finish the nursery!" I say jokingly.

"We will finish!" he says. "Now go get a shower, you're covered in paint."

I finish in the shower and begin getting dressed, Matthew's family and the "team" are coming over for a gender reveal/baby shower. We know we're having a girl, but we decided to keep it a secret until now, we can't take everyone asking non-stop anymore. Matthew's family is treating the get together as a small baby shower also, they were unable to make it to...the last one. Our friends insisted we keep the gifts from Grayson's shower for our next child. I tear up thinking about Grayson. 

"Sweetie, what's wrong?" I hear Matthew ask, he walks out of the bathroom, bare feet, jeans, and he's pulling a gray t-shirt over his wet head. 

"Nothing, I was just...just thinking abou..." I can't finish my sentence before tears stream down my face. 

"about Grayson." Matthew finished for me. I nod. He comes over and pulls me into a hug, resting his chin on the top of my head. "It's okay, it's okay to be sad," he says, rubbing small circles into my back. We stay like this for a few minutes before we hear someone knock on the door.

"Whoever it is they're early, I'm not finished getting ready yet!" I say. 

"You finish, I'll answer the door," Matthew says. He heads downstairs barefoot with his hair still dripping wet. 

"Mom, dad! You're early, we were just getting dressed," I hear Matthew say as he shuts the door. 

"We left early because we saw on the news there was an accident on the highway the way we drive here, but by the time we got there, it had been all cleared up." I hear my mother-in-law say. 

"It's fine, make yourselves at home, I'll be back down in a few minutes," Matthew says, I can hear him coming up the stairs.  We hear the door open and voices fill the house as we finish getting ready. We go downstairs hand in hand to find that everyone has arrived. We say our hellos before Matthew's mother ushers us into the kitchen to eat.

"So are you going to tell us if it's a boy or a girl?" asks Kirsten. 

"Not a chance, you'll have to wait and find out!" I say matter-of-factly. They have no idea we're going to tell everyone today. We finish eating, play a few games before we're called into the living room by Matthew's sister, Laura. 

"Time for presents!!" She shouts.

"I thought we agreed no presents," I say.

"Did you really think we would show up empty handed? I have a little niece or nephew in there" she says, pressing her hands and nose to my stomach "and I intend of spoiling them to their heart's content!" I just laugh and take a seat in the chair they decorated with ribbons and balloons. I open my gifts from Matthew's family since they don't know if it's a boy or girl, they are mainly supplies we will need. To my surprise, the "team" has brought some gifts too. 

"I know you said no gifts since we asked you to keep the ones we got for you last time...." AJ pauses, clearly re-thinking her choice of words, "but you, Matthew, and baby Gube, you're our family, and as Laura said, we are here to spoil that baby!" We all laugh a little as I finish opening the baby gifts. 

"Thank you all, really this was completely unnecessary but amazing!" I say "Now it's time for dessert, I was craving chocolate, so I made cupcakes!"I say as Matthew comes in with a tray of cupcakes. 

"They look delicious!" Paget says. We all begin eating our cupcakes, but no one notices that the filling is pink right away. 

David interrupts the conversations going on around the room. "Kaylie, Matthew, is there something you're trying to tell us? he asks with a smile.

"We have no idea what you're talking about," Matthew says with a smirk. 

"Oh really, so you were just craving chocolate cupcakes, filled with PINK icing?" David jokingly asks me.  Everyone looks down at their cupcakes. Excitement and a chorus of "how didn't I notice this?!" "This is so exciting!" "Congratulations" "Ohhh, a baby Gubette!!" fill the room. 

I break through the excitement and say "It's not finished yet, but would you like to see the nursery?" Everyone nods and we file upstairs into the room. "So I still have a bit of painting to do on the walls yet, and Matthew has to finish the ceiling, but what do you guys think so far?" 

"Kaylie, your work is amazing! I had no idea you were such a talented artist." Thomas says. 

"She's going to love it! It's so fun!" Kirsten says excitedly "I love it!" 

"Okay, Matthew, what needs to be done on the ceiling? It looks white to me?" asks Shemar. 

Matthew goes tot he window and shuts the blinds and curtains. "Dad, switch the light please," he says. Matthew's father switches the light off, and everyone looks up. 

"Ohh, this is amazing!" Laura says. "A glow-in-the-dark ceiling!" 

We file back downstiars, separating into conversations amongst each other. Matthew and I pull AJ, Shemar, and Kirsten outside to the patio. 

"We have something to ask you all," Matthew says. 

"We know this baby is going to be well loved, she has a family who cares so much about her already, but we all know life has a way of being..well..an ass," I say with a small laugh.  "What I'm trying to say, we were wondering if you all would like to be our baby's godparents?" I say, Matthew squeezes my hand. 

AJ, Kirsten, and Shemar look to one another. 

"We would be honored," Shemar says.