Competition

A/N: y'all really seemed to like Babysitting, and a lot of y'all have asked for something a bit similar, or at least with Hatchi in it (cuz he's my favorite character), and so...well, here ya go.  Hopefully it makes sense...

***

The TV drones on, but I don't really pay it much attention.  I mean, Instagram isn't at all more interesting in any way, but for some reason I can't stop scrolling through the same pictures I saw five minutes ago.  

Hatchi is rolling around beside me, growling and gnawing on the stuffed little toy Leigh-Anne got him a while back.  He loves the stupid thing so much, and I have absolutely no idea why, but I don't complain because it keeps him entertained.

I stumble across a usual gloriously cryptic post from Beyoncé when Hatchi suddenly flips himself back onto his belly and goes still, ears perked and tail slowly dragging against the covers of my bed in that special way that tells me our favorite person is home.

Sure enough, a few seconds later I hear the door open, and Hatchi goes diving off the bed, tripping over himself and his short legs in his haste, but nonetheless continuing to stumble on and charge out of my bedroom.

Same.  But, ya know, internally.

I hear a voice welcome her home, most likely Leigh-Anne since she's the only other one home, and also she's the only one with a loud enough voice to penetrate through walls even when whispering.

"Yeah, the boss man let me go early.  Where's the other two?"

"Pez is upstairs, and I honestly have no idea where Jes is."

"Oh, cool.  So, what's for din-HEY BUD!"

I imagine Hatchi flying into the living room by now, tongue out and goofy doggy smile on his face as he launches himself into Jade's open arms.  Ugh, it's the cutest fucking thing, and I'm mad at myself for not witnessing it today.  

Well, at least I have it on my phone from that one time I secretly recorded it...

It was a huge moment when Jade first warmed up to Hatchi.  She never had dogs or pets growing up, so she's never been a huge fan of them, especially their waste-disposing functions.  But, after some time, she eventually warmed up to my fur ball and accepted his presence, starting to help take care of him and give him affection.  It wasn't long after that that Jade became his absolute favorite, even over Leigh who always sneaks him treats and human food.

We're still waiting on Jesy to warm up to the idea of pets.

It isn't long before I hear the sound of familiar footsteps ascending the stairs, followed by the pitter patter of Hatchi's little paws.

"Are you following me?" Jade asks.  I hear her footsteps stop, and Hatchi's stop as well.  Then Jade takes two steps, then stops.  Hatchi does the equivalent in doggie steps, then stops as well.

Suddenly, Jade runs down the hall, appearing through my open door for a split second before passing it, Hatchi's little body appearing soon after in the same fashion.  Then, I see them run past again in the opposite direction, Hatchi right on Jade's heels while she laughs and looks over her shoulder at him, watching him follow.

I hear them stop, and then Jade's footsteps continue while Hatchi's don't.

Then, the angel walks into my room, a small smile on her face as she holds my dog in her arms, said dog licking her face between pants for breath after that short little workout.

So.  Fucking.  Cute.

"I believe this is yours," she says, letting go of Hatchi and letting him leap down onto my bed, immediately spinning around and jumping around excitedly because he thinks she's going to follow.