Gather Up The Killers

I was making breakfast very early in the morning, as Hayley slept. I listened as Hope was stirring in her bed ready to get up for the day. I hummed a slow song under my breathe, as I flipped the pancakes. Suddenly I felt a head on my lower back and arms around my thighs. "Morning Sorella" Hope called out yawning. I smiled widely and turned as she let go of me, "Morning lovely" I told her. "Where's Mom?" Hope asked and I just hmmed, "She's still in bed Love, are you hungry?" I asked and she sat at the kitchen island.

"Yes!" she called out and I smiled as I put the plate of pancakes, bowl of fruit, and the syrup on the table. I sat down across from Hope and smiled at her as I propped my head up with my hand. "What're we going to draw today?" I asked her, and hope hmmed as she pulled her concentrated face. "I don't know, all depends on what comes to me" she said as she ate her pancakes. When Hope finished she rushed off to her room, and I left some food out for Hayley.

I walked back to mine to finish a journal entry I wrote to Niklaus. I've started a whole new journal just to write what he was forced to miss about Hope. "Salem?" Hope called out and I looked up. "What's up darling?" I asked as she walked over and sat next to me. "Who are you writing to?" She asked and I smiled to myself. "Your father" I spoke and turned grabbing the envelope out of my night stand Hayley asked me to put in there. "He left something for you a while ago" I said and she smiled. I put my journal on my nightstand while Hope crawled into my lap. I opened the envelope and read it to her.

"My dearest Hope. I do not know how this will find you. As a child full of wonder, a teenager full of opinions, or a woman with the world at her feet. I write to tell you that I love you and to explain that in our family's darkest hour, I was called upon to save my siblings, and so I did. Please do not mourn me. Whatever pain I endure, I do so in service of those I love. My sole regret is that I will be away from you. Be good to your mother. I draw comfort knowing that she will protect you. And I know she will not rest until our family is united. Until then, my sacrifice will allow you to grow. To become the beautiful daughter, I can now only imagine. Please remember that you are the legacy this family has always desired, the promise we fought to protect. You are, and always will be... our hope."

I kissed Hope's head as I looked over to see Hayley in the doorway smiling slightly before she walked away. Hope turned to me and asked, "Can I keep this" I nodded and said, "Course Hope" Hope took the letter from me and went back to her room. I sighed to myself smiling. I then laid back against my head board. I then turned and grabbed the envelope from the big journal I started 5 years ago. The seal was still unbroken, and my name was written on the front with Klaus' handwriting. I took a deep breathe as I put it back in the book and closed it.

Years Later

One night after making Hope dinner and telling her goodnight, I went into my room and grabbed my journal from my bed, and set the book on the table as a knock came at my door. Before I could speak Hayley opened the door and closed it behind her. "I'm going to get them tomorrow." I nodded, "Ill stay with Hope" I told her and we smiled at each other.

------

The next day came and I sat in the kitchen as I watched Hayley come from the attic and down the hall towards Hope's room. I just went back to my phone as I drank my glass of orange juice. Hayley came back in and looked at me before saying, "Im gonna get Hope. Meet me outside and I'm going to leave" I nodded as I downed the rest of the juice and slid my phone into my pocket. I walked out to the porch and into the grass, as Hope walked up beside me.

"Do you have to go?" Hope asked, and Hayley bent down to her level. "I do. But I'll be back very, very soon. And I won't be alone. I'll call you every night before bed, okay? In the meantime, you listen to your sister. Deal?" Hope smiled at me and turned back to Hayley. "Deal." She spoke and they kissed their fingers before putting them to each others. Hayley stood and I spoke up "Keep your guard up. Stay moving. You smell trouble, you run. Those folks back there, they had plenty of life. What you need to do is stay alive for your Hope. Hayley nodded, "Everything I do is for her." I nodded as I placed my hands on Hope's shoulders, as we waved and watched Hayley leave.

"How about, I make some dinner while we wait for Calder to get here and then we sit in the living room while we paint" I said and Hope smiled. "Okay!" We turned back towards the safe house, as Hope ran in before me. I followed her inside and closed the door behind us, as I went to the kitchen. I sat at the big island in the middle, and Hope brought her box of crayons and big sketchbook to the kitchen. She sat across from me and I smiled. Suddenly a loud knock came at the door and Hope beamed a happy look at me. "Stay here" I said winking at her. I walked over to the door and took a deep breathe before opening it. Calder stood there smiling with a bouquet of flowers, "For my beautiful girlfriend" he spoke and I smiled giggling. "Thanks baby" I said, and Hope came up behind me. "CALDER" she yelled out and I smiled as i moved out of the way saying "I invite you in" Pressing my back against the wall next to the door Hope ran past me and jumped into Calder's arms.

For dinner that night I made spaghetti, and after I put Hope to bed, Calder and I sat on the couch in the living room. "Did you get it?" I asked and he nodded as he grabbed his bag and pulled out some herbs from my casting room back in the compound. "Marcel only questioned me when I was leaving New Orleans" Calder said handing me the herbs. "What'd you tell him?" I asked as I grabbed the jar of herbs. "I only told him what I could, I lost contact with you at the Louisiana border and haven't seen you since." Calder told me and I nodded. "Now what do you need.." He trailed off before reading the jar in my hands "Comfrey and.." He trailed off going into his bag and grabbing another jar, "And Vervain for?" I chuckled as I grabbed the jar of vervain.

"Well, thanks to Lucien I am only a witch. so i'm weak to compulsion, hence the Vervain. The Comfrey on the other hand is for a protection spell for Hope can't be too careful" I told him and he chuckled as he stood up and came over to me. "I love how protective you are over her but you think shes a little too protected" Calder told me tucking some blonde hair behind my ear. I opened my mouth to say something when as a scream echoed through out the house. "HOPE" I yelled as I turned and ran to her room. I made it to the door way breathing heavily as I asked "Hope, Baby are you okay?" I went to the side of her bed to see her clutching her stuffed bunny to her chest. "I had a bad dream" She told me and I sighed smiling. "Oh darling. It's going to be okay. You're safe, No one's gonna get you I promise." Hope smiled at me softly and leaned on my shoulder. "Yeah Little one" Calder spoke. "Salem and I got you, we won't let anything hurt you." I nodded and whispered "We're not going anywhere babygirl."

After Hope fell back asleep I followed Calder to my room, as he closed the door behind him. "We have a problem" He said and I raised an eyebrow. "What?" I asked and Calder pulled a paper from his pocket. "Is that from Hope's room?" I asked and he nodded. He handed it to me and I unfolded it as I stared at the picture of the serpent eating it's own tail. "Ouroboros" I whispered.