1. Matchmaker

Eighty-six. 

Eighty-seven. 

Eighty-eight. 

Eighty-nine. 

Ninety. 

"Ugh fuck," I mutter to myself as I collapse on the floor. "I hate planks."

That plank was the last of my 3rd set. My abdomen burned. Sweat dripped off my face to the floor. My muscles ached. Guess that's natural after you've just finished your intense ab workout. After collecting myself for a few minutes and cooling down, I head to the bathroom and take a bath. 

I come down and eat the usual breakfast my mom prepares, oatmeal, with a glass of full cream milk on the side. It wasn't long before my mom appears in the kitchen, with my half-asleep younger sister, Sophia, in tow. 

I can't help but chuckle at the sight of her walking with her eyes closed. "Wake up Soph, summer's over," I said as I flicked her nose. 

Quickly finishing my meal, I stand up from my seat and take my bag, getting ready to leave. I head to where my mom is to kiss her goodbye.

"Good luck on your first day." She says as she kisses me on the cheek.

"Thanks, bye Ma," I reply then head out. 

I park my Black Benz in my usual spot and see my best friend's Red Mustang already parked. 

As soon as I step out of my car, a tall blonde tackles me. "Lexiiiiii, I missed you!" 

"Easy there tiger," I chuckle. "I missed you too." I hug her back. 

Once we break the hug, I finally get a good look at her. We only haven't seen each other for 2 months but it felt like 2 years. Her blue eyes, fair skin, and slender body made all guys from our school water their mouths when she walks past them.

Kris and I have been friends since freshman year. I didn't know anyone since we just moved here. Kris totally saved my butt. She introduced me to her friends, showed me around and even convinced me to try out for the volleyball team with her. I also did the same for the basketball team. I got accepted in both but ultimately chose basketball over volleyball. 

Even when we were in different sports, Kris and I always stuck together. Sometimes, I would help her team out in training. We took most of our classes together and have the same schedule. Ever since then we were inseparable. 

I take in the dirty white hallways, the lockers, the bulletin board plastered with papers that nobody ever reads. I can't believe this is my last year in this place. I feel a bit lonely, but nonetheless happy. We place our things in our lockers and head to class. I can't help but notice the stares and the whispers of the students as we pass by. 

"So it has reached their ears already huh?" I ask Kris, knowing full well that she knows what I'm talking about. 

"More like their eyes. 2 o'clock." 

I snap my head in the direction and what I see stops me in my tracks. It's Diane and the captain of the soccer team, kissing. It's been months since we broke up and I've managed to convince myself that I've moved on, but there's still a lingering pain when I see her with someone else. Not the kind of pain that will make me cry, or make me beg for her love again. It's the kind of pain I can ignore. The kind that I can set aside for the moment and be forgotten. 

When she sees me staring at them, she quickly breaks the kiss and walks away. 

Kris and I continue to our class without further interruptions.