42 | Peter Parker Catch Up (Part Two)

AUTHOR'S NOTE

thank you all so much for 150k! that's a ridiculous number, and i'm so freaking grateful for it! ♥️♥️

also im posting a sam wilson catch-up and idk if anyone cares.

__________

xi. YOU BREAK UP

Your foot tapped impatiently on the floor as you listened to the dialing tones of the phone call. It was the fifth time you were calling, and each time he didn't answer, something bubbled in your stomach; and it wasn't a good feeling.

Biting your lip, you were about to give up, before your boyfriend answered.

"(Y/n)? Are you okay?" He asked, genuine concern in his voice. But you wouldn't let that get to you, after what he did (whether it was intentional or not).

"No, I'm not okay, Peter. Where were you yesterday?" You enquired, hurt plain in your tone, and you hoped he heard it.

He paused on the other end, his breath hitching, before he began: "I'm so so so so so sorry, baby. You know I am. I'd never miss it for the world . . . but Mr. Stark, he called me because of something to do with the internship, and I had to leave."

"On my birthday?" You couldn't help the sudden urge in you to cry. It had hurt so much when he hadn't pitched up at your house, along with no phone call for an excuse. No text, even. You were so excited to spend your birthday with him, and you knew it'd be incredible; but he wasn't even there. God, you felt like such an idiot. And you tried to pretend for the whole day that it wasn't ruined. You tried to pretend that you weren't that bothered or affected. But you were.

Your boyfriend wasn't even with you on your birthday, after he'd promised to make you feel special on that very day. Instead; you felt like shit. And even though he was the one that was on the wrong, you couldn't help but feel worried for him. That's why you'd called so many times.

"Yes." He admitted shamefully. "You know I didn't want this. I wanted to be with you. I-"

"I don't want to be a burden, Peter." You cut in, silence following.

Peter, starting to catch onto the tone in your voice, turned slightly desperate as he said his next words. "You're not a burden, (Y/n). You'd never be a burden. I love you."

"I love you, too. It's just . . . you deserve this internship so much, Peter. And I don't want to take it away from you by being a distraction . . . I feel like I'm second priority to it." You admitted, biting the inside of your cheek to stop the way your voice wavered just a little bit. "And that's okay. It really is. Because this thing could define your whole life. While I'm . . . I'm just your high school girlfriend."