one

CHAPTER ONE:

WOLF MOON, PART ONE

When Brooke woke up for the first day back to school, she felt exhausted. It didn't matter that she had slept eight hours the night before; both her mind and body felt completely weighed down. With a large sigh, Brooke threw the covers off her bed and began to get ready for the day.

Going through the motions of doing her hair and makeup and getting dressed, Brooke made her way to the kitchen in record time. Much like the previous morning, Brooke's dad was sitting at the kitchen island with a cup of coffee.

Only this morning, Brooke didn't greet her dad until she was in his line of vision. After the two quickly finished their coffees and small breakfasts, they made their way to their shared car. While most teens would probably rather die than share a car with their parents, Brooke didn't mind much. Her father was traveling for work most of the time, and when he was home and needed it Lydia or Jackson could drive her.

"I'll be back Thursday morning, okay?" Bryan Moore assured his daughter. He pulled out of the driveway of their ranch-style home and drove off towards the school.

"Yes, dad, I remember," Brooke said, responding to a text from Lydia. "And your flight leaves at noon, so your phone will be on airplane mode all afternoon and you won't be able to respond. Don't worry, dad. I'll be fine."

Bryan shook his head. "It's my job to worry about you, Brooke. You're all I have left."

This time it was Brooke's turn to shook her head. "No, no. We don't get sappy in the family, remember?"

Bryan chuckled at his daughter before nodding his head. He pulled into the parking lot of Beacon Hills High and turned to Brooke. "Alright, I'll see you Thursday. Stay safe!"

"Stay safe," she repeated to him. She got out of the car door and quickly joined Lydia by the girl's yellow bug. The two girls greeted each other before linking arms and heading towards the school.

Just as Lydia began to discuss her excitement for that week's episode of The Bachelor, a familiar scent caught Brooke's attention. She turned her head until she found the source of the smell. It was coming from the direction of two boys. She was pretty sure they were both sophomores, both of their names starting with an 'S'.

"—that is seriously the best thing that has happened to this town since the births of Lydia Martin and Brooke Moore," Brooke heard one of the boys say. Her concentration broke as she slightly narrowed her eyes at them.

The back of her mind heard that the boy kept talking, but she was too worried to pay attention to what he was saying. She made eye contact with the boy with the longer hair and she felt a jolt go through her body. There's no way he could be a--, Brooke's thoughts were interrupted by her best friend's voice.