ten

CHAPTER TEN:

VENOMOUS, PART TWO

"Don't let her out of your sight," Brooke said to Stiles as she passed by him on the way out of the classroom

"Don't let her out of your sight," Brooke said to Stiles as she passed by him on the way out of the classroom. She quickly left the building and made her way to the parking lot where Derek was waiting.

"You can't kill her!" Brooke said as she approached him.

"She's hurt people, Brooke," he said simply.

"So have you," Brooke responded harshly. Derek's face remained unemotional but she could tell she hit a nerve.

"That's different," Derek answered.

"Is it?" Brooke asked. Her question hang still in the air between them.

"I thought family came first," Derek eventually answered.

"Lydia is my family," Brooke answered. She took a step backwards, away from Derek and towards the school. "She was there for me when you weren't. She was there after mom and Levi died and you left."

Derek's eyes flickered to the school. "What's done is done."

Brooke shook her head but didn't respond. She left Derek and made her way back to the school, eyes glassy from unshed tears. She quickly found Lydia, Allison, Jackson, and Stiles in a group walking down the hallway.

"Are you in the study group, too?" Lydia asked as she approached them.

Brooke looked at Allison and Stiles meaningfully. "Yeah, I'm in it."

"Can you tell me why we aren't staying in the library?"

"Um..." Brooke trailed off, not sure how to answer her.

"Lydia, shut up and walk," Jackson answered for her, pulling her down the hallway.

"So, you're with us?" Allison asked. Brooke nodded her head and walked quickly to catch up with the two ahead of them.

The five of them piled into Stiles' jeep and drove away from the school. "But what about my car?" Lydia asked from the backseat.

"We'll bring you back later," Allison answered from her left. Jackson, who sat on the right side of Lydia, just grunted. Lydia leaned forward in her seat and looked between her best friend and the driver.

"So... what's going in between you two?"

Stiles let out a surprised cough and Brooke threw her face in her hands out of embarrassment. "Uh, nothing," Stiles answered. Lydia sat back in her seat, shrugging at his answer. Awkward tension filled the car for the rest of the ride, but the crew arrived at their destination only a few minutes later.

"If we're studying at Scott's house, then where's Scott?" Lydia asked once she got out of the car.

"He's on his way," Stiles answered as he lead the group to the front door.