ten

CHAPTER TEN:

THE TELL, PART TWO

Brooke woke up the next morning to find her dad sitting on the edge of her bed.

"Dad?" she asked, rubbing her eyes.

"Morning, B," He smiled at her. "I'm so glad you're okay."

Brooke sat up and hugged her dad. Pulling back, she asked him "What happened to not getting sappy in this family?"

Bryan laughed at his daughter and stood up from the bed. "You have to give me a little wiggle room when werewolves are involved."

Brooke frowned at the reminder. While last night she had decided to avoid the supernatural as much as possible, her thought process had changed once she climbed into bed. She didn't want to avoid the Alpha anymore; she wanted to kill him.

"Speaking of werewolves," Bryan said. Brooke raised an eyebrow and he scratched the back of his neck. "Derek's waiting for you in the kitchen."

Brooke quickly shot out of bed, shooing her dad out of her room so she could get dressed. Derek was just the person she wanted to see. After changing into a pair of leggings and an old USC shirt, Brooke walked down the hallway and into the kitchen.

Sure enough, Derek was sitting at the kitchen island, but Brooke's dad wasn't anywhere to be seen. Derek had a glass of orange juice in front of him, but ignored it and instead glared out of the kitchen window and at the woods that were a short distance away.

"What are you doing here so early?" Brooke asked. She sat on the stool next to him.

"I came to see how much you saw last night," Derek said. "I need to know if we need to worry about Jackson or Lydia telling the cops anything."

"Oh, I'm fine, thanks for asking," Brooke said, completely ignoring what Derek had said initially. "Just a little near-death experience. No big deal."

Derek's face softened slightly. "I'm sorry. Seriously though, are you okay?"

"I'm fine. I don't think I'm the one you need to worry about," Brooke answered. She stole the orange juice from in front of Derek and took a large gulp.

"Who do I need to worry about?" Derek asked.

"Not Lydia, that's for sure. She was so freaked out last night I don't think her mind could comprehend what was going on," Brooke said. Derek relaxed at her words. "Jackson, however...." She trailed off. Derek looked at her expectantly. "Jackson's really intuitive, and he was more angry than scared last night. I don't think he knows anything yet, but he'll probably figure out soon enough."

Derek nodded and got up, making his way towards the front door. "Where are you going?" Brooke asked.

"To make sure Jackson didn't see anything," He answered gruffly.