nine

CHAPTER NINE:

VENOMOUS, PART ONE

A couple of days later, Brooke sat with Derek in the abandoned subway station he called his home

A couple of days later, Brooke sat with Derek in the abandoned subway station he called his home. Isaac sat off in a corner, pretending to read but doing his best to eavesdrop on the conversation.

"There's no way a kanima just showed up, it has to be someone from here," Derek told Brooke, eyebrows furrowed.

"Der, it's Beacon Hills. Things have just shown up before. I wouldn't completely write it off," Brooke argued. Deep down, she knew he was right. She just didn't want him to be. It had to have been someone she knew, otherwise she wouldn't have been able to connect her vision with its. She looked at Derek and knew he was thinking the same thing.

"Well clearly it's someone you know, someone you're close to," Derek said. "Someone you see enough that you could form that bond."

"That could be anyone," Isaac shouted from across the large room. The two cousins glared at him. "I mean, Brooke basically has a fan club at school. Any one of the freshman girls could be this kamina thing."

"Yeah, I'm not so sure about that," Brooke responded. "Ever since winter formal people have been avoiding me at all costs. Pretty sure my 'fan club' has disbanded."

"Not true," Isaac responded. "I'm still in it."

Brooke tried her hardest to keep her heartbeat from skipping. She knew Derek would kill Isaac if he thought she was affected by his words. "Anyways... I haven't really been spending that much time with anyone besides you all recently. Not Allison, Lydia, or even Jackson..."

Brooke trailed off as she spoke the last name, Derek raising his head to make eye contact with her. "You bit Jackson over a month ago, didn't you Derek? I mean, there's been a full moon since then. Right?"

Isaac looked back and forth between the two cousins. "You think it's Jackson? I guess it makes sense. He's always been a snake."

"Especially with the way he's been treating Lydia," Brooke scoffed. She pulled out her phone and cursed when she saw the time. "Speaking of which, I was supposed to be at her house twenty minutes ago."

Brooke stood and grabbed her purse from the ground. "Wait, you're leaving? What are we gonna do about Jackson?" asked a confused Isaac.

"We saved some of the Kanima's venom from the pool," Brooke answered. Isaac motioned for her to continue. "Everyone knows a snake can't be poisoned by its own venom."

******

"You okay?" Isaac's voice asked Brooke from the passenger seat of her car. Brooke glanced at him quickly before turning her attention in front of her. She peered through the students in the parking lot, trying to find a parking spot.