six b

CHAPTER SIX B:

ICE PICK, PART THREE

The weekend was tortuous for both Brooke and Stiles

The weekend was tortuous for both Brooke and Stiles. The former had spent it cooped up with three werewolves discussing the next step, and the latter had spent it complaining to Scott.

On the south side of town, Brooke laid across an old couch Derek had taken from someone's curb. Isaac sat on the other end of the couch near her feet, Erica sat in a chair next to them, and Derek was leaning against one of the many exposed beams.

"I just don't get why we need a third beta," Erica said. "I mean we have Brooke."

Brooke laughed out loud. "I'm sorry, but if you think I'm anything like a werewolfyou need a reality check."

"Is it that far off, though?" Isaac agreed with her. "I mean you're stronger and faster than normal people, and you can heal."

Brooke exchanged a look with Derek. "Yeah, I can also heal major wounds on other people, see things through other people's eyes, and let's not forget the freaky premonition that came to me in my sleep."

"Okay, what does that make you then?" Erica asked. Brooke exchanged another look with Derek.

"It doesn't matter," Derek answered for her. "What matters is building our pack and gaining strength."

"So you don't know," Isaac directed towards Brooke. She kicked him off the couch.

"I just don't see why we can't use Scott," Erica interjected.

"Because Scott doesn't agree with us," Brooke answered. "And he's not the kind of person that can be swayed once he's set on something—especially if he doesn't think it's 'right'."

"What about Stiles?" Erica asked. Brooke sat up on the couch.

"Absolutely not."

"Oh, that's right," Erica laughed. "You and him are like a thing, right?"

Brooke avoided the look Derek was giving her. "No, we're not actually."

"Really?" Isaac asked with intrigue as climbed back onto the couch.

"Yes, really," Brooke answered with defiance. The two maintained eye contact competitively until Derek interrupted them and told them to focus.

Brooke's mind wandered to Stiles as his name was mentioned, and she reflected on the last time they saw each other. The time at the ice rink had actually been a lot of fun until Lydia freaked out. When Brooke remembered how Stiles got the keys to the rink, an idea rang through her head.

"Scott won't join because he already has a pack of his own," Brooke interrupted them. "What about somebody who doesn't have a pack?"

"You mean like an omega?" Derek asked, clearly not following her. She looked at them with a smile.