sixteen

CHAPTER SIXTEEN:

LUNATIC, PART TWO

The rest of the weekend rolled by quickly. By the time Brooke got off the phone with Stiles, Allison and Lydia had fallen asleep. When they woke up the next morning, Allison went home but Brooke stayed around so she could study for the upcoming mid-terms with Lydia.

The day became a blur of textbook chapters and Lydia's color-coordinated notes. However, by the time Monday morning rolled around, Brooke was sure she was fully prepared for her exams.

Before Brooke knew it, her first day of midterms was over. Due to the night's full moon, she had been easily distracted and only hoped she answered the questions correctly. Even though she wasn't affected by the full moon nearly as much as a werewolf was, it still managed to unnerve her and affect her moods.

At the end of the school day, she stood at her locker with Lydia by her said. She was exchanging her textbooks when Lydia quietly muttered "incoming!" before scampering away. By the time Brooke had fully comprehended what she had said, Scott was standing next to her.

"Oh, uh, hey, Scott," Brooke stuttered. "Did you need something?"

"I was just wondering if I could to talk to you," he began, leaning in and lowering his voice, "about the full moon?"

Brooke nodded her head and let him lead her to Coach Finstock's office. The rest of the lacrosse team had already gone to the field, leaving the locker room empty and the two of them with privacy.

"What are you worried about, Scott?" Brooke asked.

"Okay, so maybe I didn't want to talk about the full moon. Maybe I wanted to talk about Allison," Scott admitted.

"I don't know, Scott. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with this," she began to walk away, but Scott grabbed onto her wrist.

"Please, Brooke? It's driving me crazy," Scott pleaded. Brooke sighed and made her way over to the Coach's desk, sitting on top of it. She nodded her head at him to go on. "Do you know if Allison still likes me?"

"Of course she still likes you, Scott," Brooke scoffed. "I just think it's only as friends for now."

"Just friends?" Scott asked, sounding completely dejected. Brooke was tempted to roll her eyes. The full moon was tonight, hunters were after him and Derek, and he could only focus on a girl?

"Yes, Scott, just friends," Brooke nearly snapped. She could feel herself getting irritated with the conversation, but tried to push it aside. "She thinks you lied to her, which you kind of did. Although, I can't say I blame you."

"You can't?" Scott asked, head quirking to the side.

"You couldn't exactly tell her a revengeful werewolf was chasing us, could you?" She scoffed again. "And I know you locked us in that classroom to protect us from yourself. I could feel what you were feeling."