twenty three

CHAPTER TWENTY THREE:

CODE BREAKER, PART ONE

Brooke fell in and out of consciousness a few times. The first time she came to, she saw Jackson's frantic eyes in front of her face. She tried to tell him to leave her, to just get Lydia. Brooke would heal.

Her eyes rolled back into her head before she got the words out. When she woke up again, a soft humming was coming from her right. Brooke opened her eyes slowly, squinting at the bright lights around her.

Turning her head to the right, Brooke saw the familiar figure of Melissa McCall holding a clipboard in one hand and checking the machine beside her with another.

"Ms. McCall?" Brooke asked groggily. She tried to push herself up onto her elbows, but a stinging in her shoulder made her wince. The sound caught Melissa's attention and she instantly went to the young girl's side.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you," Melissa said. Brooke shook her head. She knew the bite would be gone within a few hours. She tried to sit up again. This time she was successful, despite Melissa's warning and the pain covering the left side of her body.

"Where's Lydia?" Brooke immediately asked. Melissa diverted her eyes. "Where's Lydia?"

"You two were attacked by an animal," Melissa said. "Unfortunately, her wounds are much deeper than yours. She's... in a coma of sorts. Her body isn't reacting to any of the medicine we're giving her."

"I need to see her," Brooke said immediately. She began pushing the blankets off her legs, but Melissa's warm hands stopped her.

"No, Brooke you need to rest," Melissa said. "You'll be able to see her later. I don't think her condition is going to change anytime soon."

"But—" Brooke began to protest but shouting from the hallways interrupted her.

"What happened to them?!" Sheriff Stilinski's angry voice rang through the hospital.

"This isn't my fault!" Jackson yelled back. Brooke made a move to go the hallway again, but Melissa stopped her. Brooke begged Melissa with her eyes, but the nurse just shook her heard.

Brooke heard Jackson tell the sheriff who they went to the formal with, and hearing Stiles' name instantly sent her into a panic.

He had left with Peter! There was no way to know that he was safe. Brooke knew she couldn't trust Peter not to hurt him, she had clearly learned her lesson with her best friend laying in a hospital bed.

Brooke turned to Melissa. "Can you tell Jackson to come in here?"

"You really should get your rest, Brooke," Melissa sighed. Brooke begged her with her eyes, willing her to understand how important it was. Melissa sighed again. "Fine, but I'm only giving you a few minutes."