fourteen

CHAPTER FOURTEEN:

NIGHT SCHOOL, PART TWO

Brooke's lungs burned as she continued to run.

She felt the other teens run past her and she soon found herself at the back of the group. Stiles turned to look at her just as she her foot caught on the ground and she tripped. He stopped running to help her up, a large crash sounding as the Alpha rounded the corner.

Brooke held out her hand to try and block her face, but a strange force came off it, pushing the Alpha back and against the wall. The shove only distracted it for a couple of seconds, but that gave Stiles enough time to pull Brooke off the floor.

"How did you do that?" Stiles asked once they were running again.

Brooke looked back the Alpha, eyes wide. "I have no idea."

They quickly caught up with their friends and ran into the cafeteria. Scott immediately locked the door and commanded everyone to start shoving the tables and chairs in front of it. Allison, Lydia, and Jackson joined in, but Brooke and Stiles shared a glance.

Stiles called for them to stop, and once they finally did, he said "Nice work! Really beautiful job everyone. Now, what should we do about the twenty foot wall of windows?"

The realization that they weren't safe set everyone into a frenzy. Lydia and Jackson began looking at Brooke expectantly and Allison turned to Scott. "Could someone please explain what is happening? I'm freaking out here and would really like to know why!"

Both Brooke and Scott shook their heads, stepping back and turning to avoid the eyes on them. Stiles realized neither were going to say anything and took a step forward. "Someone killed the janitor."

"What?" Lydia asked, voice breaking. Brooke shot her eyes to Stiles. What the hell was he thinking?

"Yeah, the janitor's dead," Stiles said. He took another step towards the group.

"Is this some kind of joke?" Allison asked. Stiles shook his head.

Jackson, clearly not trusting him, turned towards Brooke. "Who killed him?"

Brooke's mouth opened and then closed, no answer coming out as she had no idea what to say.

"No, no... this was supposed to be over. The mountain lion got killed," Lydia rambled, shaking her head.

"Don't you get it? There was no mountain lion!" Jackson snapped at her. Brooke narrowed her eyes and took a step towards him.

Allison asked Scott what was happening again, but he just shook his head. He had no idea how to handle the situation. "I don't know, but if we go out there he's going to kill us."