three

CHAPTER THREE:

SHAPE SHIFTED, PART ONE

Brooke's distance from Stiles carried throughout the rest of the week

Brooke's distance from Stiles carried throughout the rest of the week. Thursday after school she went to Lydia's house to drop off her missed work, barely acknowledging him with a goodbye as she walked to her car.

Brooke could tell Stiles was hurt by this, and she felt bad—she did. She just had other things to worry about as well. Mrs. Martin let her into the home with a smile and Brooke made her way up the stairs and to Lydia's room. She knocked lightly, and with the permission of a quiet "come in," Brooke entered the room.

Lydia was sitting at her vanity, organizing the make up in front of her and holding up different lipsticks to the dress she was holding against her. Brooke looked at her with a raised eyebrow and Lydia made eye contact with her through the mirror.

"Just figuring out what I'm wearing Monday," Lydia answered the unspoken question. Brooke nodded and sat on the girl's bed, placing the school work besides her.

"You know, I'm surprised you're going back so soon," Brooke said. "And that you're going to spend the weekend doing homework."

Lydia swiveled in her seat. "I just want things to go back to normal so I can pretend this never happened."

"That's understandable," Brooke nodded. "Come here, I'll show you what you missed."

The strawberry blonde joined Brooke on the bed as she went through each assignment and explained that they had a test in English the next day, but their teacher said Lydia had until the following Friday to make it up. After she was finished, the two girls sat in silence.

"Hey, B," Lydia eventually spoke up. "Do you remember anything?"

Brooke stilled as she recalled the night at the hospital. She had been sitting on her phone, scrolling through twitter, as she heard Lydia begin to panic. Worried, she pulled back the curtain to see what was happening. She didn't see anything until she placed a hand on Lydia's bare shoulder, and saw a muddied hand reached towards them from the drain.

"Uh, no. Not really," Brooke lied. "You just took off and I followed. Didn't think twice."

Lydia smiled at her friend, knowing Brooke is the only person that would have done that for her. "Do you have any plans tonight? Wanna stay and watch some stupid rom-com movies?"

Brooke laughed and set the school work on the ground. "I do, but it's not until later. I'm sure we can squeeze one or two in."

******

Later that evening as Brooke left Lydia's house, she received a text from Stiles.

I've been thinking about the reinforcements—can we meet up?