five

CHAPTER FIVE:

PACK MENTALITY, PART ONE

Brooke regretted giving Stiles her number almost instantly. Every day she received at least five messages from him, all containing questions she didn't know the answer to. She wasn't even sure how he came up with half of them.

Because of this constant stream of messages, Brooke found herself at her mom's old desk nearly every day after school. Brooke didn't mind spending hours in the office doing loads of research, but she did mind that her grades were slipping because of it.

She also wasn't a fan of how she found herself talking to Stiles and Scott almost every morning before school started. Not only did she receive weird looks in the hallways, Lydia was also clearly annoyed with her. Even if she didn't want to talk to Scott and Stiles, a weird tugging sensation brought her to them almost every day.

Stiles, of course, thoroughly enjoyed Brooke's presence, and Scott teased him for it every chance he got. Stiles' nerves around the girl faded, and he found it surprisingly easy to talk to her despite his massive crush. Scott noticed it too, feeling a sense of calm surround the group every time Brooke was near.

Like most mornings, Brooke found herself tagging along with Stiles and Scott as they walked to English. However, it appeared as if she joined in the middle of an odd conversation.

"Never give me that much detail of you in bed again," she heard Scott tell Stiles.

"Stilinski in bed? Never thought we'd see the day," Brooke said as she walked beside Scott.

"Ha-ha," Stiles said sarcastically. Scott then turned to Brooke and told him about the dream he had the night before. She exchanged a nervous glance with Stiles as Scott finished explaining how he woke up before he killed Allison in his dream.

Scott noticed the exchange between the two. "You think it has something to do with me and Allison going out tomorrow night, don't you? Like I'm going to lose control and rip her throat out."

"No, of course not," Stiles said. Scott gave him a look. "Yeah, that's totally it."

Scott's face fell.

"Hey, don't worry about it. I think you're handling it pretty freaking amazingly. It's not like there's a 'Lycanthropy for Beginners' class you can take," Stiles reassured him.

"Maybe not a class, but there's a teacher," Brooke chimed in. The boys stopped walking and looked at her.

"Who, Derek?" Stiles asked incredulously. "Are you forgetting the part where we got him tossed in jail?"

"That never would have happened if you had just listened to me!" Brooke argued. Scott looked back and forth between the two's stare down and started walking again. Stiles and Brooke broke their eye contact and caught up with him.