fifteen

CHAPTER FIFTEEN:

LUNATIC, PART ONE

Brooke was starting to get whiplash from her own actions

Brooke was starting to get whiplash from her own actions. She knew what she was doing was wrong, but she couldn't help it.

If it was up to her, she would leave Scott and Stiles alone entirely. They were annoying, naïve, never listened to her, and always managed to drag her or her friends into situations that almost got them killed.

Yet, there was a strange pull that brought her back to them.

The day after the incident at the school, she spent the entire day sitting at her mom's old desk researching what could possibly be causing it. It had to be supernatural, right? Her sensible side, the human one, was telling her to stay as far away from them as possible, so it had to be her supernatural side that kept bringing her back to the teen wolf and his spastic best friend.

At least, that's what she was telling herself.

Luckily, it was easy to avoid them Thursday and Friday since school had been cancelled. She spent the days with her father, him choosing not to accept any assignments until she returned to school on Monday. Those days were simple and relaxing, something Brooke noticed had been missing from her life recently.

Unfortunately, she couldn't escape the supernatural world for long. Fortunately, it was Derek showing up at her back door that brought her back.

"Derek!" Brooke all but screamed when she noticed him. He was leaning against the glass of their back door, his face barely visible in the low light. It was Friday night, almost Saturday morning and the only light available was from the glowing TV screen.

Brooke had been watching Revenge of the Sith with her dad, him falling asleep about twenty minutes into it. Her scream had woken him up, however, and he was soon joining his daughter in the kitchen.

Brooke unlatched the back door, letting Derek in. Bryan immediately began making coffee and Brooke threw her arms around her cousin tightly. Derek hugged her back, allowing himself to be vulnerable for the first time in days.

Once the coffee was finished, the three sat at the island in the kitchen, cold hands wrapped around warm mugs.

"Where have you been?" Brooke immediately asked, attention solely on the werewolf in front of her.

Derek let out a sigh before explaining his past few days. He had managed to escape the school since the Alpha was distracted by the students inside. Once he made it through the woods, his primal urge to survive kicked in and he had taken refuge in an abandoned train station. Brooke let out a disgusted noise when she heard that.

"Why didn't you just come here? You know we could've taken care of you," Brooke said, the coffee in front of her forgotten. Bryan nodded in agreement.