twenty

CHAPTER TWENTY:

CO-CAPTAIN, PART TWO

When Brooke got home from her shopping trip with the girls, she didn't expect to see Stiles sitting on her front porch.

"Stiles?" Brooke asked. At the sound of her voice, he looked up from his phone. He didn't respond so she just walked past him and to her front door, unlocking it. "Do you, uh, wanna come in?"

Stiles nodded and followed her in. Brooke dropped her Urban Outfitters bag onto the couch, and led him further to the kitchen. He sat at the kitchen island, watching her with steady eyes.

"Do you want something to drink?" Brooke asked.

"Uh, sure. Water's good," Stiles said quietly. Brooke quickly grabbed him a glass and set it in front of him. She walked backward to lean against the sink, waiting for him to say something. An awkwardness filled the air between them. It made Brooke feel sick.

"Okay, this is weird," She blurted, moving forward to lean against the kitchen island. "What are you doing here, Stiles? I thought you hated me."

"I could never hate you, Brooke," Stiles said exasperatedly. He ran a hand over his buzzed hair. "I just...when I got home earlier, my dad was going over case files for the Hale House Fire."

Brooke froze. "And?"

"And all of these recent killings—they're connected to it. The video store clerk, the bus driver, the two guys in the woods; they're all related to the fire," Stiles said. Brooke nodded her head, encouraging him to go on. "Peter's been the one killing them. He wants revenge, doesn't he?"

Brooke nodded again. She walked around the kitchen island and sat in the chair next to Stiles. "He told us he only wanted to hurt the responsible ones. I made him promise not to hurt Allison."

Stiles swiveled his chair to face her. "He's still killing people, Brooke. Why do you want to help him?"

Brooke thought for a moment then turned to face Stiles with a shake of her head. "I lost half of my family in that fire, Stiles. The pain that comes from that... it never heals. It's not that I want to help Peter kill people, I just don't want to lose anyone else. If Derek chooses his side, then so do I. I would do anything for the people I love, Stiles. Derek is one of the few people I have left. Him, dad, Lydia... I would do anything to make sure I don't lose them too."

Brooke let out a huge sigh when she was done talking, feeling as if a huge weight had been lifted off her shoulders. Tears pricked the back of her eyes when she mentioned her dead family, but voicing how she felt was surprisingly relieving. She looked up to see Stiles already looking at her, pity in his eyes.