zero

THE OBSTACLE

"What's your favorite color?"

"Green. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?"

Stiles Stilinski pondered the question that the blonde-haired girl asked him. His eyes wandered over to her body, folded in on itself in the hospital chair next to him. Her legs were pulled up onto the seat, her chin rested on the top of her knees and her arms wrapped around them with her fingers tightly interlocked.

Brooke Moore looked exhausted, and she had every right to be. She had been firmly planted in that seat since late Friday night—technically early Saturday morning. Her only breaks from the uncomfortable chair consisted of pacing up and down the hallway and grabbing stale coffee from the nurse's station. It was now late Saturday night, the sun having set a long time ago.

Stiles had insisted on playing twenty questions as a way to distract her, but nothing could pull Brooke's attention away from her best friend lying dangerously still in a hospital bed. While her outwards demeanor was relatively calm, Stiles could tell her mind was going a mile a minute.

Her eyes were focused in front of her but constantly moving, almost as if she was searching for answers on a page that wasn't there. Stiles felt awful for her, his eyes glancing back and forth between her and Melissa McCall at the end of the hallway. The nurse's eyebrows raised in a concerned manner as her eyes flitted between the two teenagers.

Stiles gave her a small smile; assuring her that Brooke was okay. He turned forward in his seat, and slumped slightly as he thought about the question. If he could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?

His first response would've been something cheesy like "where ever you are," but he stopped himself, unsure of exactly what they were to each other. It was obvious he was in love with her, and it seemed as if she had feelings for him, too. Still, Stiles was unsure of what was going on between them, and the sensible part of his mind told him that in a hospital with her best friend in a coma wasn't the best place to ask.

He thought harder about the question.

"Probably Tokyo, or something cool like that," he finally answered. "You?"

Brooke didn't answer, instead she sat up straighter in her chair, removing one of her legs and placing her foot on the ground.

"Brooke?" Stiles asked, preparing to stand and follow her wherever she was planning on heading. "What's up?"

"Something's different," Brooke said. She placed both feet on the ground and leaned forward in her seat, straining to hear something that Stiles couldn't.

"What do you mean 'something's different'?" Stiles asked. His hands reached towards his phone to send a text to Scott.

"I don't know," Brooke said. She shook her head and sat back in her seat. "It just feels... off. Like, the air just feels weird."

She looked at Stiles with a sad smile on her face. "I sound crazy, don't I?"

Stiles shook his head fervently. "No, not at all."

"You, sure?" Brooke asked, a small laugh escaping through her lips. "It's never too late to run."

"What? No, I couldn't even if I wanted to," Stiles said. Brooke looked at him in a way that stopped his heart and reached over to grab his hand. Stiles decided to ignore the sensible side of his brain. "Hey, Brooke, speaking of which, I was, um wondering if you— "

A nurse came walking out of Lydia's room, interrupting the question he was going to ask. Brooke immediately dropped his hand and went to meet the nurse halfway.

"Well?" Brooke asked, a small twitch in her leg signaling her impatience.

"She's awake," the unnamed nurse smiled at her. The two teenagers immediately headed for the door, but were stopped quickly. "Sorry, but she's only allowed two visitors at a time, and her mother's already in there."

Stiles took a step back, signaling Brooke to go forward. She mumbled a quiet "thank you" and slipped through the cracked door.

Stiles Stilinski trudged back to the uncomfortable chair he was sitting in before, taking a seat with a loud groan. He leaned back, figuring he'd try and sleep at least a little while he waited on Brooke.

He took a breath as his mind filtered through all the problems they've had to figure out the past couple of months. They had figured out who the Alpha was, killed the Alpha, come to an agreement with the hunters, and Lydia was waking up, soon to be healing. Stiles smiled slightly as he realized everything was getting better, that everything crazy was finally coming to an end.

He had no idea what was coming.

******

season 2 yeet