eleven

CHAPTER ELEVEN:

HEART MONITOR, PART ONE

Somehow, Brooke convinced her father to let her stay home from school the next day. She wasn't ready for all the stares she would get, and she also wasn't ready to have to see Stiles again.

She knew she overreacted on Monday, but the words tumbled out before she could stop them. Despite regretting the way she said them, she knew deep down she was right. In reality, Scott and Derek didn't need Stiles, and it was safer for him to not be involved at all.

While Brooke wanted to apologize for yelling at Stiles, she couldn't bring herself to text him. Part of her wanted Stiles to stay mad at her in the hopes he would stay away from the supernatural, and the other part of her was too proud to message him first. Even when her dad came home from Parent-Teacher conferences and told her about the mountain lion being shot and Sheriff Stilinski being hit by a car, Brooke managed not to text Stiles (even though she was worried about his dad and really wanted to).

Wednesday morning when she came back to school, Brooke had the full intention of sitting as far as possible from Stiles and Scott in English. However, when she walked in a minute before the final warning bell rang, the only empty seat was the one directly next to Scott.

Brooke cursed under her breath but took the seat regardless, ignoring the fact that Stiles was only at a small diagonal from her. Scott looked back and forth between the two, but they both stared forward without acknowledging him.

Scott looked at Brooke with a confused expression on his face. Was she ignoring him too? He literally just saw her last night and it didn't seem like she had a problem with him.

"You seriously need to stop doing that!" Scott had yelled. Derek was sitting in a chair in Scott's room, and Brooke was lounging on the bed beside him. Ever since Brooke had confronted Derek about helping, he took her almost everywhere, constantly quizzing her on her supernatural knowledge and faking attacks nearly every day.

Brooke and Derek looked up at Scott expectantly, the former with an eyebrow raised. "So what happened?" Derek asked. "Did he talk to you?"

"Yeah, we had a nice conversation about the weather," Scott said sarcastically. Brooke rolled her eyes. "No, he didn't talk."

"Well did you get anything off him? An impression?" Derek questioned further.

"What do you mean?" Scott asked. Derek looked completely fed up and stood to talk to Scott, but Brooke interfered before Derek could get too angry.

"Remember your other senses are heightened, Scott," Brooke said gently. "Communication doesn't have to be spoken."

"What kind of feeling did you get from him?" Derek interrupted her. Brooke shot him a look but he ignored it.