twenty two

CHAPTER TWENTY TWO:

FORMALITY, PART TWO

Brooke did not want to get out of bed Friday morning. An uneasy feeling had settled in her gut, and she knew the day was going to be a bad one.

Luckily, Bryan had left the night before for a photography assignment in Thailand, and knowing he was out of harm's way made Brooke breathe a little easier. Only slightly.

Brooke hadn't heard from Peter since she saw him at the mall. She felt entirely on edge the whole day, not knowing when he would act next. Once the school day had passed Brooke knew he was waiting until formal. The thought of an entire gymnasium full of innocent teenagers being hurt because of Peter made her want to throw up.

Brooke also hadn't talked to Stiles since seeing him at the mall. She had talked to Scott, though, the two of them coming up with endless possibilities and back up plans for the night. He had also begged her to go with him to the dance for appearance sake, not wanting Melissa to know he was technically sneaking in.

Brooke obliged, only because she knew her father would want pictures. That's how Brooke found herself waiting patiently in the McCall kitchen, hair and make-up done in a black dress with Melissa staring at her inquisitively.

The awkward silence was soon broken as Scott came storming down the stairs and into the room. He was looking over his shoulder down towards his butt, making Brooke laugh under her breath.

Scott walked over to her and then turned around, giving her a full view of his backside. "Can you tell there was a hole in these?"

"Wait, what?" Brooke laughed. Melissa shook her head and stood up, placing calming hands on her son's shoulders.

"Calm down, you can't tell. You look very handsome," Melissa assured him. Scott lowered his head in embarrassment, causing Brooke to laugh again as she grabbed her purse and stood up. The inquisitive look overcame Melissa's face again as she looked between the two. "You know, Brooke, I was very surprised when Scott said you're going with him. I would've thought you'd be going with Stiles."

"Mom," Scott groaned. He gave her a face which read 'I thought I told you not to mention that.'

"It's okay, Scott," Brooke said. She turned towards his mother. "Scott and I are going as just friends, Ms. McCall. I'm really just his ride."

Melissa nodded, seemingly believing her. Scott grabbed Brooke's arm and started pulling her towards the front door, hoping to escape the awkward tension his mother just created.

"Wait a second!" Melissa called after them. "I want pictures!"

Scott groaned again, but Brooke happily obliged, asking Melissa if she would be willing to send them to her dad. After Melissa took dozens of photos and got Bryan's phone number from Brooke, the two teenagers were off and driving towards the school.