eight

CHAPTER EIGHT:

ABOMINATION, PART TWO

The game was in full swing by the time Brooke arrived to the school

The game was in full swing by the time Brooke arrived to the school. The parking lot was packed and she had to drive around for almost 10 minutes before finding a spot. Once she found one, she got out quickly and sped walked towards the field, only to pass by Lydia still in her car.

"Lydia?" Brooke called as she neared her friend. Once she was close enough, she realized she was crying. Without a word, she walked to the passenger's side of the car and climbed in. "What's wrong?"

"I thought I could do it. Act like everything was fine," Lydia said through her sniffles. "But how am I supposed to walk onto that field when the MVP broke my heart?"

Brooke looked at her sympathetically and reached to grab onto her hand. "You can do it because you're Lydia Martin. And because Jackson isn't the only person whose opinion matters—no matter how wrong it is. You have me. And Allison."

Lydia smiled through her tears and pulled Brooke into an awkward hug over the car's center console. When they pulled away, Brooke saw a familiar figure standing outside of the open window next to Lydia.

"Hey what's wrong?" Stiles asked. Lydia quickly looked towards her feet and rolled up the window. "Hey! Come on!"

"I don't need anyone else seeing me cry!" Lydia practically yelled back.

"We're fine, Stiles," Brooke said as she tried her best to shield her friend from his prying eyes.

Stiles looked at Brooke's face, eyes lingering on her for angry expression before turning his attention back to Lydia. "Look you shouldn't care if people see you cry, alright? Especially you."

"Oh really?" Lydia scoffed. "Why?"

"Because you look really beautiful when you cry."

Lydia looked back up at Stiles and gave him a small smile, while Brooke looked at her hands and tried to keep her face even.

"Now, I gotta go, alright?" Stiles told the girls. Brooke looked back up in time to see a set of keys held tight in his hand. "Let me know if you need anything."

Stiles walked away from the car, Brooke following his figure with her eyes as he retreated into the brick building behind them. Why would he be going into the school during the game?

"You can go, you know," Lydia said, bringing Brooke's attention back to her best friend.

"What?" Brooke asked.

"You can follow him," Lydia told her. She gave Brooke a knowing look and gestured over her shoulder. "I know you want to. I'll be okay."

Brooke looked to the school and then back to Lydia. "Are you sure?"