twelve

CHAPTER TWELVE:

HEART MONITOR, PART TWO

Jackson's words echoed in Brooke's mind all day. She was worried, to say the least. So much, that she almost cornered Scott and told him to keep a low profile. She decided not to, however, because she figured the information would just stress him out more.

Still, her mind was consumed with all of the possibilities that could come out of Jackson's curiosity. Nothing good would come out of it, that's for sure. Best case scenario was that Jackson continued his theory about steroids. Worst case scenario is that he figured out what Scott was, told the hunters, and got everyone killed. Herself included.

Trying to ignore the uneasy feeling in her stomach, Brooke continued throughout the rest of her day. Lydia helped distract her during their nutrition class, but the feeling reappeared once she was out of the company of her best friend.

Later that day, during World History, Allison told Brooke that Scott had been avoiding her all day, but she got him to talk to her during economics. She also told Brooke about the moment she had with Jackson in the hallway at the end of free period. Apparently, after Brooke and Jackson had separated, he had found Allison reading and asked to join her.

"It was weird," Allison said. "He was almost... nice?"

Brooke laughed. "Jackson isn't that bad. I've known him since the fourth grade, and he's been known to show feelings every now and again."

"He even apologized for being a jerk to me and Scott," Allison almost laughed in disbelief. "He said that if you liked us, then he should too. Apparently, he thinks you're a good judge of character."

"Really?" Brooke asked. Allison nodded. "If only he apologized to Lydia too. Apparently, he's been really distant towards her recently. It's freaking her out."

"Well, maybe they're just growing apart," Allison suggested. "Contrary to the belief that the most popular guy and girl in school should be together, it's possible they just aren't compatible."

Brooke raised her eyebrow. "And who are they compatible with, then?"

Allison looked like she wanted to say something, but she just shrugged her shoulders instead. "Who are you compatible with?" She asked instead.

"I didn't realize I was compatible with anyone," Brooke said.

"How about Stiles?" Allison asked suggestively. Brooke was about to deny it entirely, but the bell rang and Allison gave her a quick goodbye before running out of the classroom. Brooke watched her retreating figure curiously, standing and making her way to the parking lot.

Just as she was about to text Lydia to see if she could still give her a ride home, Brooke noticed a group of guys crowding around a figure on the ground and Stiles standing closely off to the side.