four

CHAPTER FOUR:

SHAPE SHIFTED, PART TWO

As soon as Brooke pulled up to the abandoned subway station Derek was storming out and walking towards his Camaro

As soon as Brooke pulled up to the abandoned subway station Derek was storming out and walking towards his Camaro. She switched cars and tried to calm Derek down as he drove and explained the situation—the police had shown up at lacrosse practice, Gerard Argent was apparently the new principal, and Stiles had texted her saying that Jackson was questioned by the police. Mid-explanation she quickly realized Derek was driving back to the school.

As they pulled up, a police car was driving away with Isaac in the back. Brooke felt her heart break as they made eye contact. She tried her best to give him an encouraging smile. The Camaro pulled to a stop in front of Scott.

"Get in," Derek said through the rolled down window. Brooke start unbuckling her seatbelt so Scott could climb in the back.

"Are you kidding?" Scott asked. He pointed at the cop car driving away "That's your fault."

"I know that," Derek said looking down. "Now get in the car and help us."

"Us?" Scott asked, his eyes trailing to Brooke with a look of disbelief. He shook his head. "No, I'm going to call a lawyer because that's the only way he could possibly get out before tonight."

"Not after they do a full search of the house," Derek replied.

"What do you mean?"

"Look, Scott," Brooke began. "I don't know what Jackson told the police, but whatever is in the house is worse. A lot worse."

The look on Scott's face told Brooke all she needed to know. She got out of the car and pushed the passenger seat forward, Scott climbing in silently as they drove off.

******

Scott was led into the Lahey house by the pair of cousins in front of him. He questioned them as the flashlight in his hand moved around the living room.

"If Isaac didn't kill his father, who did?" Scott asked.

"We don't know yet," Derek answered.

"How do you know he's telling the truth?"

"Because I trust my senses." Derek guided him towards the back of the house. "All of them; not just my sense of smell."

Scott stopped walking an avoided eye contact out of embarrassment. "You saw the lacrosse thing today."

"Yeah."

Scott looked at Brooke. "Did it really look that bad?"

"Oh, yeah," Brooke answered nonchalantly, continuing their trek towards the basement.

"What's down there?" Scott asked.

"Motive," Derek simply answered.

Brooke put her hand in front of the door, causing the other two to pause. "Are you sure this is a good idea?" she asked, knowing Isaac wouldn't want secrets about his personal life being spread. The look on Derek's face made her move her hand.