thirteen

CHAPTER THIRTEEN:

NIGHT SCHOOL, PART ONE

Brooke had only blacked out once in her life

Brooke had only blacked out once in her life. It was her freshman year, and she was under the influence of alcohol.

The second time Brooke blacked out, there was no alcohol involved. Just an alpha werewolf impaling one of her last living family members.

Brooke stood in shock as she watched the Alpha throw Derek aside like a ragdoll. She could faintly hear someone calling her name, but her brain didn't register it. She blinked once and found herself inside the school, Scott and Stiles next to her. She wasn't sure how she got there.

"Lock it! Lock the door!" Scott yelled. He pushed her back slightly as he and Stiles held the doors shit.

"Does it look like I have a key?" Stiles bit back. The boys continued arguing, but Brooke didn't pay any attention. Without her even noticing it, Stiles had gone outside and shoved the bolt cutters in the door.

Brooke blinked again, and the two boys were trying to drag her down the hall way. "Wait, no," she said. She pulled against their hands and made her way to the door again.

"Brooke, what are you doing?" Stiles asked. He reached for her arm, but it slipped out of his grasp as Brooke continued walking towards the door.

"I have to go help Derek," Brooke said, but it seemed as if she wasn't fully present. Her voice was empty in a way, almost as if she was on autopilot.

"Brooke, no!" Stiles yelled. Brooke didn't pay any attention to him. She threw aside the bolt cutters and opened the door. Scott slammed it shut before she could open it a few inches.

"You're not going out there!" Scott said incredulously. She looked at him with wide, pleading eyes.

"Please, I have to, okay? Something is pulling me to go to him. I have to at least see if he's alive," Brooke begged. The two looked into each other's eyes, and, after having some sort of telepathic conversation, Scott sighed and removed his hand from the door. He nodded.

"What? Scott, no. No, we can't let her out there!" Stiles tried to protest. He made his way over to the two and put his hand on the door, mimicking Scott's actions from earlier.

"Stilinski, I have to," Brooke said. She grabbed his hand and removed it from the door, lowering it down to his side. "Just go somewhere safe. I'm going to check on Derek and then I'll meet up with you and we'll figure out how to get out of here."

"Promise?" Stiles asked weakly.

"I promise," Brooke nodded. She glanced out the small windows in the double doors. Not seeing the Alpha anywhere, she opened the door slightly. Turning one last time to look at Scott and Stiles, she squeezed the latter's hand gently before slipping through the doors.