six

CHAPTER SIX:

PACK MENTALITY, PART TWO

When Scott, Stiles, and Brooke arrived at the school, all three of them got out of the car and walked towards the gates guarding the bus.

"Wait, no. Just me," Scott said as Stiles began climbing the fence. "Someone needs to keep watch!"

"Why am I always the one keeping watch?" Stiles asked. "It's starting to feel like you're Batman and I'm Robin. I don't wanna be Robin all the time!"

"Nobody's Batman or Robin any of the time," Scott said, clearly not fully understanding Stiles' analogy.

"Not even some of the time?" Stiles asked.

"Scott's right," Brooke interjected. "This is something he should do on his own."

"Oh my god!" Stiles groaned, stomping back to his jeep. Scott gave Brooke a grateful look as he climbed the fence, and she joined Stiles back in the jeep.

After sitting in silence for a few minutes, Brooke turned to Stiles. "I'm not saying you're a sidekick, but even if you were, it's not a bad thing."

"Oh, yeah?" Stiles scoffed. "How so?"

"Well, first of all it's safer," Brooke answered honestly.

"Who cares about that? I want to help."

"I do. Don't take your safety for granted," Brooke told him. "And you do help. Just... behind the scenes. I mean, how many times do you think Robin saved Batman's ass?"

Stiles laughed lightly and Brooke sent him a comforting smile. She placed her hand on his arm, and while he expected to feel butterflies, he was overcome with a sense of calming as his frustration faded away.

"You've helped more than I have," Stiles said quietly.

"Well, then we're both sidekicks."

It was at that point that Brooke realized how close they were. They had both leaned towards each other, hovering over the gear shift. Just as Stiles felt himself lean in closer, Brooke cursed.

"What?" Stiles asked. She pointed to the security guard making his way towards the buses. "Shit."

Stiles honked repeatedly to get Scott's attention. In a matter of seconds, Scott was climbing over the fence and running towards the jeep. Begrudgingly, Brooke climbed into the backseat as Scott threw himself in the passenger seat and Stiles quickly drove away.

"Did it work?" Stiles asked. "Did you remember?"

"Yeah, I was there last night," Scott answered. "But a lot of the blood was mine."