Part 1

Four days after we return home from our lovely honeymoon in France, we are once again immersed into our everyday routines. With the wedding and honeymoon, Prince had been out of the studio for long enough that he's eager to return, plus he had been penning new songs all week. I was not surprised on this morning, that after a light breakfast, he kissed my cheek and drove off to get some recording done at Paisley.

Shortly after he leaves the house, I go back upstairs to play around on the landscaping software in my office since it's too cold to go outside to do anything. Once I'm seated at my computer, I notice that I hadn't flipped the calendar page from October, which makes sense, because I haven't been in my office since before the wedding. When I see the red circle on November 2, I gasp, my heart jumps in my chest and tears fill my eyes.

It's already the 11th of the month and I have seen no indication of my period. Okay, I tell myself, breathe. Get dressed, get to Paisley, I need a pregnancy test. Oh. My. God. I leap from the chair and run back to the bathroom, using some tissue paper to validate, no, nothing. I rush into my closet and start flipping dresses on the rod, but I'm not seeing anything, tears are streaming down my face.

I stop, wiping the tears away, I go get my cell phone and return to the closet, now I try scan the dresses one by one.

"Paisley Park, Monica sp..."

I cut her off, "Monica, I need a favor, are you busy?"

She's quiet for a second, this outburst is not like me, "Dana is everything alright?"

"Yes, I need you to run to the drug store. I'm on my way over there as soon as I get dressed," I rush the words out.

"Okay," she says hesitantly.

"I need a pregnancy test. Tests, I guess," fumbling in my excitement.

"Oh, my, God," she breathes, "I'm on it. How many? What kind?" Now she understands my urgency.

"I don't care, one of each," I'm now scanning through my dresses for the fourth time. "Just don't let Prince know, okay?"

"I won't, he's locked in the studio anyhow. Dana, be careful, I'll see you soon," she disconnects.

I close my eyes and put my hand into the line of dresses, grabbing a hanger and pulling it out, I open my eyes to see what my selection is, yeah, this will be fine. I slip it on, then some thigh high nylons to help protect my legs from the cold air. Rushing out to my vanity, I frantically dab on some makeup, I'm about to apply mascara, but toss the tube back down onto the counter, that'll be a waste. I pull my hair back from my face with a headband, grab some shoes, a long coat and start toward the stairs.

At the top of the stairs I freeze, I've ran down these steps a thousand times before, but this morning I just can't make myself take them. I look at the elevator and instantly I feel safer, so I take that down instead, putting my shoes on as I'm lowered to the main floor. I force myself to stop and breathe again, looking up to the ceiling, I mouth the words: "Thank you."

Getting out to the car, I sit for a few more minutes before turning the key in the ignition. Finally, a calm washes over me, and I put the car into gear, heading to Paisley. As I pull into the parking lot, the anticipation of telling Prince riles me up again. I get out of the car, walking as quickly as I can to the building, I rush into the vestibule to escape the cold.

Kirk who looks uncomfortable as he stands by Monica's desk, smiles as I walk in, "You look cold," he teases.

"Freezing, actually. Monica's not back yet?" I ask as I toss my coat onto a nearby armchair.