Part 48

When the plane lands on the tarmac in Tennessee, two rental cars are already sitting and waiting.  One is an Nissan Altima, the other a BMW 2 Series, both are black and gleaming in the October sunshine. 

"No Cadillac?" I ask when Prince moves to open the door of the BMW

"This car is much safer," he says matter of factually, slipping into the backseat to secure the carrier.  It doesn't surprise me that vehicle safety has been researched, as with everything seems to be since the birth of our baby.

Marcus begins loading the trunk with our stuff, then on his final trip, his suitcase gets loaded into the back of the Altima.  "I'll see you guys tomorrow," I hear Marcus say while I'm in the backseat latching Ramiel in.

I hurry to wave to Marcus before he gets into his car, then I slide into the passenger seat.  "So, what's tomorrow?"

"Our Anniversary," Prince plays.

"I know that, Silly, but we're meeting Marcus?"  I knit my eyebrows.

"We are," he smiles smugly as he drives. When I sigh, he elaborates, "I've invited Marcus, Angel and Derik to have dinner with us."

"Ah," I smile happily that he has set aside plans for us as a group while we're here.  "So what's on the agenda for tonight?"

"Oh, I don't know," he pretends to think, "Room service, enjoying some time with Ramiel," he glances my way quickly.  "I'm sure we'll find something to do after he falls asleep."  His eyes travel over me with that last comment. When I involuntarily shiver with excitement, he laughs.  I could listen to that sound forever. 

At the hotel, Prince hands the key over to the valet as I remove Ramiel from the backseat and the bellhop gathers our things onto a cart.  "Penthouse," is all he says before he turns his attention to us, escorting us protectively as we make our way through the lobby and into the elevator. 

I really don't mind rushing straight to the hotel since I know Ramiel is about due for a feeding, but the October weather begs to be taken advantage of.  "Prince, do you think we could get outside for a little bit today?  Get some fresh air and exercise." I ask gently. 

"Of course, Sugar.  Where do you want to go?" he asks, ever accommodating.  I start to think of local attractions, but the only thing that comes to mind at the moment that we can actually enjoy the outdoors is the zoo.  When I mention it to him, he contemplates it for all of two seconds, before he smiles, "Did you bring your camera?" 

"I did not," I frown, "but that's okay.  I just want to walk around, see the animals, and enjoy some quality time with my men." 

He smiles at me as the door opens, "After you."  We make our way into the penthouse that has obviously been 'foo-fooed' for our arrival.  Fresh purple flowers are in vases everywhere, the lighting is subtle, and of course, a grand piano sits in front of the wall of windows. 

When I sneak a peek at Prince out of the corner of my eye after spotting the piano, he pretends to whistle.  "Your daddy's a pervert," I look down and whisper to Ramiel, who looks back up at me with interest.  

"Mommy's never complained," Prince leans in to him and whispers, Ramiel quickly mimics Prince's grin.  Prince then says seriously, "I can't believe he's still awake."

"That's good, we want him to sleep later.  I just can't believe he isn't hungry yet."  I wait for the bellhop to bring our things, and no sooner than a fresh diaper is fastened on, he starts to fuss. 

After Ramiel is fed, we leave the hotel to stop at a little family restaurant to eat, then drive the short distance to the zoo.  With Ramiel in his stroller, we walk the entire place.  The crisp air is invigorating, but not so cold that we have to worry about Ramiel, especially now that we have a blanket covering him since he's dozed off. Prince is attentive, and slightly handsy, as we stroll around. know he's anxious for us to have some alone 'quality' time this evening, as am I. 

Back at the hotel, Ramiel is wide awake again.  We interact, and play, then I read aloud to him, followed by Prince reading aloud.  When Ramiel continues to stay alert, we look at each other in disbelief.  "Oh, God, please tell me he's not going to be like you," I say before thinking. 

"Excuse me?"  Prince frowns, but I know he's in too good of a mood to actually be upset. 

I lean over and kiss his cheek, "I love you, but sometimes, you can be a damn Energizer rabbit," I laugh. 

His eyebrows raise, and he says with his cocky smile, "I'm sure I won't hear any complaints later."

"You know what I mean," I swat his shoulder playfully.  Prince leaps off the floor, struts over to the piano and begins to play.   Ramiel instantly cranes his head toward the sound, so I pick him up and carry him over to watch, swaying and bouncing with him to the tempo.  Ramiel starts to vocalize loudly with his familiar sounds along with the music, I gawk at him in disbelief and Prince's fingers get still.  "Did he just..." I look at Prince for confirmation.

"I think he did," he looks as shocked as I do. 

Prince begins to play again and Ramiel joins in with deliberate sounds.  How is it that my heart can soar and fall at the same time? I think.  It's not that I don't want him to follow in his father's footsteps, but I do want him to have as 'normal' a childhood as possible.  Prince continues to play for awhile without singing, and we both listen in fascination at Ramiel's attempts to 'sing', but he automatically quiets when Prince does began to croon.  We both shrug, maybe he was vocalizing as a way to get Prince to start, but we don't care, the baby is definitely engaged.