Part 35

Prince leaves me in the nursery with Ramiel as he returns to the main floor to meet with Kirk.  I check and change Ramiel's diaper, happy to see that the cloth diapers that were delivered are already sitting next to the changing table.

Picking him up, I look around the room and spot the box for a 'portable bassinet' I had purchased so I would be able to bring Ramiel outside with me when I garden.  I set him into his crib while I pull it from the box, this will be perfect for downstairs. I drop the carry strap over my shoulder and scoop Ramiel into my arms and head back downstairs.

I'm not surprised when I enter the kitchen to only find Kirk had returned with our meals

I'm not surprised when I enter the kitchen to only find Kirk had returned with our meals. The conversation quickly pauses when Kirk, who's facing my direction, flashes a smile. Prince turns, "Hey, Sugar," he spots the strap over my shoulder and nods to it.

"The portable bassinet," I explain, "That way we can eat down here like adults," I laugh. 

Kirk laughs, "Babies have a way of changing things.  May I?" he extends his hands and I ease Ramiel into them.  Kirk holds Ramiel securely in front of him, gazing down at our dozing infant, a smile spreads across his face, "Man, this brings back the memories," his eyes get glassy and he pulls Ramiel in to cradle him against his chest. Our tiny baby looks even smaller in Kirk's arms, he shifts, but stays content since he has a full belly and a clean diaper.  Kirk studies Ramiel's face, then glances at the both of us, "I can't tell who he resembles more, I can see both of you.  You guys did good," he jokes and begins to rock him slowly. 

Prince is radiating with pride again, "I see Dana in him," he says.

I flash a skeptical expression and say to Prince, "I see you more than me, except for those round cheeks.  He's got your piano fingers, thank God.  They're not stubby like mine."

Kirk lifts Ramiel's hand and gently extends his fingers, "Wow, they are long!" he laughs. 

While Kirk holds Ramiel, I quickly unfold and secure the bassinet into its locked position, and move to set it on the dining room table.  "Way over there?" prince asks astonished. 

"We'll be able to see him from here, he's sleeping," I touch his arm gently. 

Kirk walks over to the bassinet and sets him down, again Ramiel shifts but stays asleep, "That's cool," he says as he checks out the contraption, "Wish they would've had stuff like this when mine was little."  Kirk turns to us, "I'm going to get out of here, you guys enjoy your dinner.  P, you know where to find me."

We thank him and wave as he heads towards the foyer.  When I hear the door close, I turn to Prince, "And then there were three." 

He grins and pulls me in for a kiss before telling me, "Sit down, Sugar, I got this."  Prince gathers water, utensils, napkins and dishes our food onto plates while I wait watching him.  Every move he makes is graceful and efficient, and soon he's beside me to enjoy our dinner.   We're so entranced by our sleeping baby we hardly say a word while we eat, but exchange glances and happy smiles periodically.

When we're finished I'm prompted to go upstairs to rest, "I'll keep an eye on Ramiel, go get some sleep, Baby."

I feel anxious about leaving them but I know Prince is more than capable of watching a newborn, so I kiss him softly and head back upstairs to lay down.  I have just settled in the bed when I hear the piano come to life, I chuckle softly, my Music Man, and drift off to sleep. 

Prince's hand softly squeezing my shoulder wakes me, "Ramiel's hungry, Sugar," he whispers.  I shift myself into a sitting position and arrange a pillow to place him on.  Prince sets him down on the pillow after I've removed a breast, this baby takes no encouraging when he's hungry, he's latched and feeding in a matter of seconds.  

Only when Prince stands so I realize we're not alone in the dimly lit room, Gretchen smiles at me from the opposite side of our bed, "I'm glad to see you're still not having issues with nursing.  Welcome home."

"Thank you," I look back down at Ramiel for a second, "Have you been here long?" I ask her. 

"Maybe an hour," she looks at Prince, he nods in agreement.  When I apologize for being asleep, she says, "Nonsense, I was relieved that you were, your body needs it."  Then she continues, "Mr. Nelson brought up pumping, so he could feed the baby."

I look at Prince and his expression is slightly sour, he points to Ramiel, "I think this is less trouble," it's obvious he's disappointed. 

"It's not as complicated as it seems, Mr. Nelson, especially when you get used to it," Gretchen insists. 

I glance between them, "We can try," I offer, "We bought a pump."

"I saw that, and I was wondering why," Gretchen mentions.  "I really don't suggest pumping unless you need to, it can cause problems with overproduction and breast engorgement, which is very painful."

"Oh," I mimic Prince's frightened look. 

"But if he's just wanting to help with feedings, you can pump small amounts.  You can also pump from the other while he's nursing, this way you can shorten the time that he's feeding at the breast, letting dad take over with a bottle," Gretchen suggests, this piques Prince's interest. "So, I might suggest you return the automatic one and get a smaller manual one."

"Can we donate it?" Prince asks.

"Yes, that would be a great idea," she smiles. 

After Ramiel's finished feeding we go over more basics about his stump care, my need to rest, feeding frequencies, sleeping durations, and when I return to my doctor. We go to my computer and she shows us the kind of pump to purchase instead, since I don't really need to store any large quantities. When she feels confident that we're feeling confident, she bids us a good night, and tells us to call if we need anything.

After she leaves, the portable bassinet is brought into the living room so Prince and I can cuddle up on the couch together and watch some television, although we spend more time watching Ramiel with stupid smiles on our faces.  We are smitten.