Part 54

The rest of our little weekend getaway is casual and carefree.  We spend a majority of the next afternoon at Angel's while Marcus is off meeting with the builder to look at the proposed house plans.  Prince, occupied with Derik and some impromptu guitar lessons, leaves Angel and I to have a chance to catch up on some girl talk. 

As we chat, I intermittently interact with Ramiel, wiggling rattles, bouncing him on my knee, and, of course, feedings.  "You guys are really rocking this parenting thing," she says as she smiles at Ramiel.

I return the smile, feeling flattered, "We can't take all the credit, Ramiel is such an easy baby.  I can only count a handful of times that he's cried since he was born.  Plus, we're older, and we have no set schedules, it really couldn't be more perfect."

"And you guys still act like newlyweds," she winks at me from her chair. 

"One year, Angel, we still are," I laugh, then bite my lip when I think about just how much water we had splashed out of the tub last night at the hotel.  That was most definitely not a slow lovemaking.  Angel catches me in my reviviour, and shakes her head, but I grin and say, "Rabbits," before she can. 

"Ladies," Prince says, warning us of his entrance as he steps into the living room.  He cuddles up next to me on the sofa and when Ramiel cranes his head towards him, he pulls him onto his lap.  "Are you behaving?" he asks in a whisper.  I press my lips together and nod, he gives me a quick please-don't-discuss-our-private-business look before his expression changes to a grin for  Ramiel.  

Prince turns the conversation to Derik's interest in the guitar, since we can hear him still practicing in his room.  "He really likes it," Angel seems surprised, "it's like the one thing he actually focuses on.  Anything else, he just runs amok."  Prince just smiles his pleased smile. 

Before much longer, Marcus returns and we are all excited to look over the plans of the model home he really liked.  "Oh, Marcus, it's going to be perfect," I gush, looking at the sketch, I can picture the house tucked into the large wooded lot.

  "Oh, Marcus, it's going to be perfect," I gush, looking at the sketch, I can picture the house tucked into the large wooded lot

"Thank you, Ma'am," he blushes

I eye Angel and mouth the words 'four bedrooms' to which she gets a glazed over look in her eye before she lets out a nervous laugh.   Prince and Marcus, who had missed our interaction, exchange glances and shrug before returning their attention back to the plans. 

As the day shifts to evening, Angel stands and announces that she has to start dinner.  "Prince, we'd better get going," I whisper, tapping his knee discreetly, not wanting to impose their hospitality. 

Apparently, I was not discrete enough, because Angel turns on a dime, "Oh, no, you don't, you're eating with us.  I even bought fake meat especially for you two. Sit!"

Prince and I both slowly ease our butts back down onto the sofa and look at each other.  "Fake meat?" Prince mouths.

I roll my eyes and place my finger over my lips in the hush gesture before I whisper to Prince, "We're going to eat it, no matter what." He just blinks at me.

Dinner turns out to be delicious and impressive, although I could tell Prince had an issue with the mushrooms in the dish, he ate a fair amount, even for him.  Angel had made a mock Beef Burgundy with Seitan, mashed potatoes, and Brussel sprouts. 

"Angel, that was amazing, thank you so much for going through all the trouble," I say as I stand to help her clear the table.

"It was no trouble, I cook almost every day. I'm just glad it turned out that good.  Plus, we hardly get a chance to see each other anymore, so with you here, I knew I was going to take advantage of it." 

I look out the window at the chilly, overcast evening, "I just wished the weather would have been better, we all could have done some things."

With our flight departing tomorrow afternoon, we don't stay too much longer after dinner.  At the door, Angel looks sad, so I pull her in for a second hug, "You know you can come visit anytime."

"I know," she sighs, "and after the house is built, we'll have plenty of room for you guys to come visit more often."

I catch Prince's not too subtle look as he bounces and sways Ramiel.   Both Angel and I know that Prince likes having his own personal space and that would never happen, but the offer is there. 

The ride back to the hotel is subdued.  I've enjoyed our little visit, and our quality time among great friends, but oddly enough, I'm actually missing frigid Minnesota.   "Penny for your thoughts, Sugar?"  Prince asks as he reaches and takes my hand.

I smile at him, "I think I'm ready to go home," I offer, hoping that he doesn't think that I didn't enjoy our little trip.   Instead, his eyes scan my face and he smiles his pleased smile as he looks back through the windshield.