Part 29

Gretchen stays with us in our room waiting for Ramiel's second feed before heading home. I'm surprised when it's only a couple hours before he starts to fuss in the bassinet. Gretchen stays put in the nearby rocker, but I can tell she's ready to assist if I need help.

I'm not quite sure who responded to Ramiel's fusses first, as I was stirring to comfort him, Prince was lifting to look over me at the bassinet. I sit up, making sure I have him securely before lifting him out, and Prince is already pressing the button to adjust the bed. As soon as I sit with him in my arms, Prince slips a pillow beneath him the way Gretchen had earlier. She smiles and nods as she watches from across the room, and I'm grateful she is the type to let us work things through instead of hovering.

I unhook the opening on my nightie over my other breast and repeat what I had done earlier, but the baby's latch is not good and he lets loose to fuss with clenched fists. Gretchen's voice is calm, "Just take your time and try again." This time is a success, he latches and begins to feed eagerly. I let out a sigh of relief and let my eyes close, leaning my head against Prince's, I'm still so tired. "Just don't fall asleep," Gretchen warns, "you could drop him."

"I'm awake," Prince offers as he tenderly strokes his head. We stay this way, and I manage to stay awake until I notice Ramiel's sucking slow, then stop. I do as Gretchen had earlier, I hold him against me, and with some soft bounces and pats, I too am rewarded with the tiniest of burps.

I hand him over to Prince. "I have to go to the bathroom," I announce, just in case I needed a chaperone again.

Gretchen nods, "Just leave the door open, and call me if you need anything."

I use the bathroom without issue, although painfully. I change out my sanitary napkin with a look of disgust on my face and return to the bed. Prince is walking Ramiel around the room and speaking softly to him, the baby takes little peeks up at Prince, but he's losing the fight. I stop and kiss both of them, but the bed is calling to me, and I'm asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow.

I never hear Gretchen leave or feel Prince join me in bed, but I wake to soft, happy, sounds coming from Ramiel. Adrenaline soars as I see an unfamiliar woman leaning over the bassinet to talk to him, she smiles when she sees me start, "Good morning, I'm Tonya, I'm just making my rounds and had to say hello to this handsome new guy," she tickles his cheek and his mouth opens.

I relax a bit, "Good morning, Tonya, I'm Dana. It looks like someone's hungry again."

She smiles and nods, "Have you had any trouble with the feedings?" I shake my head as I sit up, it's then I realize that Prince isn't beside me. Tonya sees my reaction, "Your husband went to get you 'some decent food'," she laughs.

"Ah, that sounds about right," I lift Ramiel and situate him on a pillow, removing a breast, and getting him latched as Tonya watches. She looks over our charts, then asks, "It's been awhile since your last ibuprofen, how are you feeling?"

"Sore," I admit.

"I'll get you another dose." She looks around the area, checks the stack of diapers and anything else that may need to be replenished, "I'll be right back with that," I thank her and she leaves the room. I had refused any form of pain medication other than the ibuprofen, but I can feel I'm past due for another dose, even before I look at the clock and see it is almost 9:00.

I'm looking down at Ramiel as he feeds and already he's slowing, I start to wonder if I am also a substitute pacifier as he seems to be starting to doze. Tonya returns with my pills and sets them on the bedside table, looking at Ramiel, she says, "Oh, no, sleepy man, you just started." She reaches across me and tickles his belly with her fingers, then with one finger, his cheek, his mouth resumes at a quicker feed. I look at her as she grins down, and shakes her head, "Men. You'll be able to sleep longer if he feeds longer. Babies are notoriously sleepy, make sure he's full before you take him off the breast."

"How do I know?" It's not like he has a little meter, I think.

"Offer the other one after he stops, if he refuses to latch, he's full." I nod, wishing Gretchen might have mentioned this earlier, but she was only present for two feedings.

I have to grin when Prince enters carrying a familiar container, but he stops on a dime and quickly heads back out. My mouth had just started to water, and I crane my neck to see why he left so fast, maybe because the nurse was still here?

Tonya asks if I want help changing Ramiel, when I decline she excuses herself as Prince renters without the container.

I frown, "I recognized that container, you bothered Ray?"

"Ray works for me, and he also wanted to visit," he indicates the doorway.

I look down at Ramiel who is still actively feeding, that's why he spun so fast in the doorway. "Grab me that baby blanket, don't make him stand in the hallway."

He hands it to me, I drape it over my exposed breast and Ramiel, and Prince goes back out to get Ray. He comes back in with Ray and Marcus, "Marcus, too?" I ask surprised.

"I called everybody," Prince grins.

A round of happy greetings ensue, and I apologize as I point to the blanket, "He's almost done." The men seem embarrassed as they wave off my apology, as Prince stands proudly in the middle of the room. When Ramiel slows again, I remove him and adjust my nightie with him still under the blanket. I'll offer him the other breast another time, I remove the blanket and hand Ramiel to Prince. "Burp him," I remind him as I pull the sheet up higher, I'm slightly uncomfortable by how much my nightie reveals. The matching coverup is in my bag, I had expected there would be visitors, but I'm unprepared.

Prince bounces him softly, supporting his tiny head in hand as he talks to him and listens for a burp. Ramiel forces his sleepy eyes open to gaze at Prince.

Marcus, Ray and I all watch with tears in our eyes, seeing Prince pleased is one thing. Seeing Prince truly happy is completely another, and it's a rare beauty to behold.