Part 46

With our love life restored and the fact that we're becoming more comfortable as parents, we soon fall into a new routine.

Prince doesn't go into the studio daily, but he does try to go several times a week. On some of the days that he 'works from home' he schedules short appointments for me while he tends to Ramiel: in-home mani/pedis, or massages, something to pamper me, but also allow me to be nearby for nursing or pumping.

As September brings some cooler weather, we are spending less time outdoors and I find myself joining Prince more often when he goes to Paisley, at least there I have other adults to talk to in between feedings, naps, and playtime. I also have the nursery as a private space for when Ramiel and I need to get away, and most times, Prince seeks us out there when he isn't in the studio or his office. With the chillier temperatures outside, we enjoy the warmth and vibrant colors of the murals I had painted on the nursery walls. "It's always summer in here," Prince says with a satisfied smile.

Ramiel's personality begins to surface more as the weeks pass, he's become quite the social butterfly and loves to be part of any conversation that we are involved in. I see more and more of Prince in him as listens intently as people talk and watches their facial expressions with great interest, he even interjects with gurgles and coos during conversations. When we laugh at his freakish sense of timing, he just grins and drools as if he knows exactly what he's doing. I feel this behavior to be advanced for his age, and on his next appointment, it's confirmed by the doctor that he seems to be reaching milestones much faster than expected. "What did you expect?" Prince asks, glowing with pride on our car ride home from the doctor. I just shake my head in a daze, God give me strength, I think with a smile.

Since Ramiel is advancing so quickly, I spend a majority of my day trying to keep him stimulated and occupied now that he's awake for longer periods of time. On many occasions, Prince sees how frazzled I am by my continued efforts and does the one thing that instantly calms us both, he plays music. It doesn't matter what instrument Prince chooses to play, Ramiel stops and stares, entranced by his father. I always laugh, because this is where I see myself in him, I never tire of watching Prince 'become one' with any instrument.

Mid October rolls around and as I stand looking out of the back window of our house at our withering garden, I grumble about the cold weather. "Don't I keep you warm, Sugar?" Prince whispers from behind me. I turn my head to him with a coy grin and nod as last night's encounter replays in my head. When we both turn our attention to eye Ramiel sleeping soundly in his portable bassinet near the sofa, I could have bet money on Prince's next words. "You want to go upstairs?" When I nod excitedly, Prince scrambles to set up the monitor and we bolt for the elevator. Now, I have to say I prefer our leisurely lovemaking sessions since Ramiel is sleeping longer at night, but these midday quickies are as exciting as they are satisfying. Actually, with all this increased sexual activity, I've had to do very little on my own to see a decrease in my waistline, which, in turn, is helping me regain my self confidence.

Showering after our tryst, Prince asks, "You want to go to Tennessee to celebrate our Anniversary?"

My eyes get big, "Yes, please!" I'm dying for some nicer weather, and to see Angel again, even though she had come up for a weekend shortly after Ramiel was born.

"You got it, Baby," Prince kisses my cheek, "I'll start on the arrangements." No sooner than the words leave his mouth, our attention is pulled away from each other by fussy grunts starting to emit from the monitor. "Uh, oh," Prince singsongs.

"That would be my other man," I laugh as I step out of the shower and start toweling off rapidly. Prince watches me with a smile as I struggle to pull a robe on over my still damp skin in my rush to get downstairs.

Prince frowns as he asks, "How long are you planning to breastfeed?"

I frown back at him, knowing he's not big on the 'time' thing. "Six months minimum is recommended. Prince, we're barely halfway there," I remind him with a sigh.

"Oh," he nods solemnly. It doesn't surprise me that he's tiring of sharing my body, especially since we're being intimate again. It's been almost a year since conception, and breastfeeding does involve a lot more time than even I had anticipated, surely he realized all of this was part of having a child, but he adds no more.

I hurry downstairs to get to Ramiel before his fussing turns to distress, and as soon as he hears me calling to him, he quiets. Only on the rarest occasions has he actually made it to crying, and the sound of it rips my heart out. Knowing I'm near, his fussy grunts turn to anticipating gurgles, then back to grunts of effort when I get settled on the sofa and he gets latched. It isn't long before Prince joins us, laying down on the remainder of the sofa, he rests his head on my thigh. When he does, my soothing instincts kick in and I start stroking Prince's face with fingertips and my gaze travels back and forth between 'my men'. My heart fills with love and a smile spreads across my face as I take in both of their beautiful, relaxed expressions. It isn't long before both my men are dozing contently, their two very different needs both having been satisfied. I doubt at that moment there could be a greater feeling in the world.