Part 62

The bedside phone awakens me, I scramble to grab it, taking notice that I'm still alone in the bed, "Hello?"

"Yes, Mrs. Nelson, this is your 7 am wake up call," a pleasant, female voice announces. I thank the woman before I hang up and glance at the empty side of the bed. Mr. Nelson, you're not making this situation any better, I think to myself as I throw the covers back and crawl out of bed. A quick peek in at Ramiel shows he's still asleep, so I grab the opportunity to get a shower while I can.

Showered and dressed, I call down to room service, ordering some breakfast for us before I check on Ramiel again. I find him in a different position in the crib, but still asleep, I don't have much longer. While I wait for room service, I start to gather some of our things over by the door so we'll be ready. I had just slipped into the bathroom to apply some makeup when I hear the doors buzzer, room service already?!

I hurry to open the door to find Kirk standing there. "Good morning," he says as he walks in. Kirk eyes the pile of things I had started to bring to the door and smiles. "Thank you, but you know you don't have to do that," he chuckles. "Where's P?"

My unhappy look answers before I do, Kirk's happy expression turns to a frown of confusion. "Your guess is as good as mine," I sigh. I look up at him worriedly, "Things got a bit tense last night, and he went out to a local jazz club," I pause not knowing how much I should share. I meet his eyes, "Kirk, he hasn't come back yet. Should I be worried?"

He does his best to hide the split second of shock that crosses his face, "Naw, no," he says, shaking his head. He's reluctant to meet my eyes right away as he fumbles uncomfortably with the situation he's being pulled into, but finally he puts me at ease. "Dana, you and Ramiel are his everything, he'll be back," he says gently. I cast my eyes downward and nod, I feel he's right.

Our awkward moment is interrupted by a gentleman pushing our breakfast cart up to the opened door. "Room service," he announces.

Kirk acknowledges him first, handing him a generous tip before he relieves the gentleman of his cart. "Dining room?" he asks, wheeling it through the doorway.

"Please, I have to go wake Ramiel if he's not up already. You're welcome to join us for breakfast, I ordered plenty," I say as I start in the opposite direction.

I find Ramiel finally awake and standing at the rail of his crib. "Ma! Ma-Ma-Ma," he starts his bouncing with his mantra. I scoop him out, change his diaper and carry him into the dining area. "Ca!" Ramiel exclaims when he spots Kirk. Kirk's face lights up with Ramiel's contagious happiness, watching as I get him into the high chair.

I start setting out three place settings, one for myself, one for Kirk, and one for Prince, that is, if he shows up in time. I start cutting up some food into tiny morsels that Ramiel can handle, and motion for Kirk to take a seat. Once he's seated, he still looks uncomfortable. "I can start loading the car," he offers.

I continue preparing food for Ramiel. "The car that's probably not here?" I remind him.

Kirk doesn't respond, but instead starts fixing himself a plate. Prince has us at a standstill at the moment, but I know we still have plenty of time.

Kirk and I eat in silence, Ramiel, on the other hand, chatters and makes an array of sound effects as he scoops food into his mouth. I smile as I watch Ramiel smear food all across his face as he attempts to eat, but it quickly fades when I hear Prince say: "Hey, Little Man."

"Da-Da-Da-Da!" Ramiel swivels in his high chair to watch as Prince enters the room.

"Sugar," Prince says my pet name tentatively as he comes around beside me, leaning in to kiss my cheek. I tilt my head but remain silent, my eyes fixed on the table.