Part 38

Everyday we go somewhere, even on the days I don't want to. Sometimes, on those days, Prince gives in, but he at least makes me get out into our backyard.  He knows that I will automatically start pulling wayward weeds, or pruning back bushes and deadheading flowers.  It's almost like when he sees a guitar or a piano, the need can't be resisted.

Ramiel's portable bassinet has paid for itself tenfold for as much as we've used it since bringing him home.  He's content to lay under the protection of the screening, gazing and grunting at the small mobile we've placed above his head in there.  Ramiel and I both benefit, and are soothed, by Prince's acoustic guitar playing on those days we spend in the backyard. 

On this day, however, it's Ramiel's first wellness visit with the Naturopathic Pediatrician and I'm full of anxiety about bringing our newborn into a waiting room filled with possibly sick children.  We vow to keep his carrier covered with a light blanket for some protection, and when we get there, we sit as far off to the side as we can while I fill out what feels like a mountain of paperwork.  "I'm getting hand cramps," I joke at one point, Prince offers to take over, but I refuse.  He's been so accommodating ever since the day we found out I was pregnant, let alone the fact that he's managed to step it up a notch to help me deal with the lingering threat of Postpartum Depression.  

When our name is called, we bolt from our chairs, both reaching for the carrier at the same time.  Prince swats my hand away playfully, proudly carrying Ramiel behind me as we're lead into the back and into an exam room.  We had been instructed to bring a couple warm blankets for the visit and we assume it's because of the chilly, air conditioned office, but we soon find out that our baby is to be stripped naked for the physical part of the exam. I strip him down, but keep his diaper folded loosely in place, both Prince and I have learned quickly that once his privates are exposed to air, he tends to let his bladder loose.   We laugh at each other when we see the other doing the 'peek-a-boo' diaper changes.  

The visit is a long one and I start to feel emotionally drained about half way through, right about the time Ramiel starts to get fussy.   The doctor completes the physical exam and quickly swaddles Ramiel in one of the blankets, handing him to me. Ramiel quiets, but starts bobbing his head along my collarbone, "You can feed him, now," the doctor says.  I remove a breast and he latches like a trooper, the doctor nods, "Good appetite," we nod in agreement. "Now, let's talk about you," the doctor urges.  I sigh but we fill him in on everything, how many people need to know I have the baby blues?  I think to myself.   He agrees with everything that Gretchen has suggested, and does a lot of note taking in our file. We discuss vaccines next, both the pros and the cons, and are told to try to have a written list of questions or concerns for the next visit.  We glance at each other, now we have homework?

When we finally leave I'm agitated, "I thought all these doctor visits would decrease after Ramiel was born, but they've just doubled," I voice my discomfort to Prince.  His pressed lips and quiet nod let me know he's feeling the same way, in just a few more weeks, I have to return to my obstetrician for an exam.  With Ramiel's carrier locked back into the backseat, we climb into the front of the Bentley.  I was surprised when Prince chose to drive it today, it's been pretty automatic anymore that we've been taking my Outback. 

Prince takes my hand, "I don't like it either, Sugar, but pretty soon they'll be less," he kisses the back of my fingers. 

"I know," I sigh as he puts the car into gear and drives towards the expressway. 

We've just merged onto the expressway when my cell phone rings in my purse.   I pull it out and see Kirk on the caller ID, so I hand it to Prince since the Bentley does not have Bluetooth.   "Hey?" Prince answers.