Part 66

A week after the MRI, it is confirmed that Prince's failed hip replacement is the cause of his pain.  With a few other tests, the specialist has deemed him a favorable candidate for the second procedure. He also feels there should be no unforeseen complications from this surgery only if Prince follows through with his recovery and physical therapy as directed. 

This particular morning, before any conversations about when the actual surgery will take place, I wake to find myself alone in bed.  After my initial confusion, I look over at the baby monitor display to see Ramiel's crib is empty. 

"Okay," I mutter.  Pulling myself into a sitting position, I do my best to shake off the lingering sleepiness with no avail. My grogginess is overridden by surprise when I power up my cell phone to find it's almost 10 AM  "What the...?"  Well, no wonder I can't wake up, I've had too much sleep. 

I hurry to get dressed, pulling my hair back into a low ponytail, and head downstairs. When the elevator doors open, I find Prince playing with Ramiel on the floor of the living room. 

"There's Mommy," Prince says cheerfully when he spots me first. 

Ramiel pushes up from the floor, butt first, then walks to me as fast as his little legs will carry him. He chants the whole distance, "Ma, ma, ma, mom!"

"Hey, Handsome," I scoop him up and kiss his nose. Ramiel giggles before ineffectively trying to communicate what they had been doing. His hands flail in mock gestures that I know he's picked up from us.

"Um, hm, is that so?" I nod, as if his jibberish makes sense.  Prince nods from across the room, when Ramiel looks to him for confirmation. 

I join Prince, who has now moved up to the sofa, "Why didn't you wake me?"

"You've looked so tired lately, I thought you could use the extra sleep," he leans in and kisses my cheek. He also takes a second to place the back of his hand on my forehead. Again, there's concern in his eyes as he scans mine. "I have to head to Paisley soon, do you want me to take Ramiel with me?"

"No, I got him," I insist. My logic is, if he has to go in, more than likely he won't have the ability to entertain him. 

"Can you be there by 1:00?"  He asks, his eyes scan me again. 

I knit my eyebrows as I nod, "Sure, no problem."

He strokes my cheek before he stands, "I'll see you two, later, then."  We both get goodbye kisses before he leaves.

"I guess we're going to Paisley today," I say to Ramiel after Prince has left.  He watches me while I talk then starts jabbering away. Just like his father, I laugh to myself.  "Come on, Booger Butt, let's get ready." 

*******

When I arrive at Paisley with Ramiel, Prince is in the Atrium, alternately playing guitar and jotting lyrics into his notebook. The first thing I notice is that he looks more polished than when he left the house this morning. The guitar is set aside when I let Ramiel down and he toddles to his father, "Da, da, dad!"

"Little Man," Prince says as he scoops him up into his lap.  He presses a kiss to his cheek then looks up at me, "Are you sure you're okay, Sugar?"

"Um, hm," I nod, but my quietness and frown don't sell my answer. 

Prince stands, walks over to me, and his eyes examine my face.  With his free hand he brushes my brow with his fingertips, his face is concerned.  "Talk to me," he says in a serious tone. 

Right after Prince had left the house, I had started to really not feel well, but I knew he wanted us here, so I powered through. "I don't know, maybe I caught a virus.  I feel drained, and my stomach is kind of upset," I answer truthfully.