Part 3

It's weird how everything changes when you find out your pregnant, I think to myself as I pull the car into garage. I let myself into the house and start looking for the phone number to the OB/GYN Office we had used after the miscarriage, but there's no notes, business cards or anything that I can find tucked away anywhere. 

I pull out my cell phone and scroll back through my dialed numbers, there it is!  I press the send button. 

A pleasant woman answers the phone, and I choke back the feeling of deja vu. I let her know that I had been there before, but under no circumstances did I want the same doctor, "I'm over a week late and a pregnancy test this morning read positive."

After questions about my last period, and if I was regular, she comes back with, "We normally schedule the first appointment at 7-8 weeks after your last period. With your age and a previous miscarriage, we want to see you earlier, how's November 23, at 1:30?"

It seems so far away, "Yes, that's great," I jot the appointment down on a piece of notepaper.  I also ask for the doctor's name just to verify it's not the same woman.  I leave the note on the counter with the appointment time and head back upstairs to do what I had planned to earlier, play on my computer. 

About an hour on the computer is all I can handle and I start to wander the house in boredom, I have to find something to do during the winter here or I'm going to lose my mind.  I decide to lay down on the couch since I have a little headache, and it isn't long before I doze off. 

I'm woken by a kiss to my abdomen, when I open my eyes, Prince is kneeling on the floor next to the couch.  He looks up at me, "Hey, Sugar," he grins. 

"So, this is how it's going to be, huh?" I joke, "I'm second fiddle, now?" 

He looks upwards like he's thinking, and then laughs, pointing over his shoulder at the coffee table, "I did bring you these."

Behind him on the table is a stunning floral arrangement in a vase

Behind him on the table is a stunning floral arrangement in a vase.  "Oh, Prince!"  I lean forward to kiss his cheek before I sit up to admire the flowers.  He joins me on the couch as I lean in to sniff the arrangement, letting out a satisfied noise.

"Thank you," I grin at him and kiss him on the lips. Now that we're home alone, my thoughts shift to other ways we could celebrate.  I let my hand run up his thigh, his body stiffens and he gives me a shocked look.  "What?" I ask. 

"What are you doing?" he scoots slightly away from me on the couch.

"I was hoping we could celebrate, in private," now I'm frowning, confused by his actions. 

"I don't think we should, we could hurt the baby."

I'm dumbfounded, "Prince, I can guarantee that the last couple weeks, at least, I've already been pregnant.  The baby is fine."  He's perplexed with this new information, and since I feel the need to be intimate, I add, "I do recall a few of those times were pretty, um..." I lean in and whisper, "enthusiastic."

I get that big eyed, virginal look from him that I love so much, it also lets me know he's coming around to the idea.  "Maybe we should wait until you get in to a doctor," he suggests. 

My eyes widen, "The 23rd?!  No way!"

"That's the soonest they could get you in?"

"No, actually they're seeing me earlier," and I explain to him their reasons why. 

"Oh, maybe we should wait, then" he idly fingers a strap on his jacket. 

I stand, stopping to smell the flowers one more time, "Well, you can wait. I'm going to go upstairs and light the fire, feel free to join me if you want to."

I have just stepped into the elevator and turned toward the door when I hear Prince's jacket jingling as he trots to catch up.