Part 21

In the days following our most recent appointment on July 1, I get a burst of energy and start making final preparations for the baby's arrival.  I pre-wash wash some baby clothes, sheets, light blankets, and onesies. Then I pack some of those things with mine in an overnight bag for the hospital and set it on the floor of the closet so it's ready to go. 

Prince had insisted on purchasing two infant carriers so we would have one in both his Bentley and my Outback.  "We don't need two," I try to reason with him as they are un-packaged.

"This way we won't have to move it back and forth," he insists. 

"You do realize these are infant carriers, and we're going to have to purchase new ones in a matter of months?"

"So, we purchase new ones," he says as he places a carrier into the back of the Bentley, preparing to attach it.  

I know this discussion is closed, so I leave him to secure the carriers returning to the nursery to continue my nesting.  As I move from drawer to drawer pulling out, refolding and rearranging the array of tiny clothing I soon feel Prince's presence. I turn toward the door with a grin as he enters, glowing as much as I am. 

"How many times have you refolded these?" he asks with a knowing smile, as he picks up a tiny pair of socks and examines them. 

I look at him sheepishly, "More times than I care to admit."

He sets down the socks and moves behind me, his arms sneak around me and massage my belly, he rests his chin on my shoulder, "Look at you, all maternal." he kisses my cheek.

I roll my eyes and place my hands over his, "Um, I really have no choice at this point," I laugh. 

"This is true," he releases me and we both wander the room picking up and rearranging things as we go, the wait is making us restless.

I open the closet and pull out the waiting bassinet, "Can we put this in our bedroom today?"

"Do you know something that I don't?"  he squints his eyes at me.

I start to push it back, and stop, "I just have this overwhelming need to be ready. I know we still have over a week, but..." I let my sentence fall, maybe this is all because the doctor said I was already starting to dilate.

"Don't you think you'll make it to the due date?" he asks quietly as he starts pushing the bassinet towards the door.  

I shrug as I follow him, "It's not really my decision, it's his," I point to my belly.

He stops and turns towards me, his hands rest on my belly, the baby reacts by stretching, causing me to gasp go air.  A surprised look crosses his face, but once he sees I'm okay, he asks our son, "Ramiel, are you coming early?"

Another stretch, and I gasp and laugh, "I hope so, because I would love to be able to take in a full breath again."

Prince frowns as he looks up at me, I think he just realized what I had already been noticing, "His foot is up here," his hand rests near the top of my belly.  When I nod, his eyes get wide and he turns quickly to push the bassinet into the hallway and down into our bedroom.  

I sit on the edge of the bed and pull the bassinet closer and check out its features.  Everything that we have for this baby has been thoroughly researched and scrutinized by Prince, right down to this bassinet.  I love that it's so compact, it has two vibration levels built in, plus a night light, a lullaby, and a nursing timer.   The sides are mesh, and I'll be able to see and remove the baby while I'm in the bed. 

"I still can't believe how cool this is," I lay down and swivel it over the mattress, dropping the side to test it out while Prince watches with tears in his eyes

I swivel it back and sit up and Prince joins me on the edge of the bed. He sits close, draping his arm over my shoulders we stare at the empty bassinet and try to envision our baby sleeping there, "I love you," he says.

Tears well up in my eyes, "I love you, too." 

He pulls me in tight and soothes me with a chuckle as I start to cry, "Soon, Sugar, very soon." 

I don't say anything, but something tells me he is right.