Part 53

Back at Angel's, the garage door starts to lift no sooner than we pull into the drive. My first inclination is something's wrong and I bolt from the passenger seat, cake still in hand, as soon as the car comes to a stop.

I'm across the drive and meet Marcus at the kitchen door. "What's wrong?" I ask frantically as I look up at him, then at Prince, who has just appeared at my side, he's wearing an identical look of concern.

Marcus's laugh is hushed, "Nothing's wrong," he whispers, "Angel and Derik are asleep, I didn't want you two to startle them. Come on in," Marcus steps aside and motions us in.

"What about Ramiel?" I hear Prince ask from behind me as I lead the way through the kitchen to the living area.

"Wide awake, Sir." I smile at Marcus's habit of addressing us professionally, even though he's not 'working'.

My smile turns into a hushed chuckle when I take in the scene before me. Angel is crashed, mouth agape and sprawled out across the sofa as if she had just collapsed there. Derik, also sleeping, is in fetal position, barely on the same blanket that's laid out on the floor for Ramiel. Ramiel starts to gurgle, coo, kick, and flail his arms in excitement when he turns his head and sees us enter the area.

The next few seconds look like a well rehearsed comedy skit as I realize I'm still holding the cake. In my rush to hold Ramiel, I pass it off to Prince, who instantly looks bewildered as he takes the dish. His eyes start to travel frantically for a place to set it down, giving up, he quickly turns and passes it off to Marcus. We both drop to the floor to be close to Ramiel, and I scoop him into my lap. He grins that toothless grin as he looks back and forth between the two of us, his little body convulsing as he kicks his legs against me. "You're so strong, look at you!" I encourage the kicking.

Prince laughs, "We missed you, too, little man. He brushes some hair from his forehead before kissing him, which causes Ramiel to vocalize his happiness a bit louder.

Angel stirs on the sofa behind us, then sits up when she realizes we're back. "It might have been nice if you told us your child doesn't sleep," she grumbles with heavy eyelids, punctuating her words with a yawn.

"He sleeps," I assure her with a chuckle, "about 7-8 hours through the night, actually."

Her eyes travel between me and Ramiel on my lap, "So, when does that start?"

"Ummm, about midnight or so," I think out loud, but I know it has to be past that. "Maybe, because we weren't here..." I ponder with a shrug. "He ate, right?"

Angel nods, "Both bottles." She looks up at Marcus, who is still holding the covered dish and frowns. "Marcus, what are you holding?"

"I have no idea," he answers her with a laugh, since she missed the whole hot potato game we had just played with the serving dish.

"Cake," Prince and I answer in unison from the floor. This short, one syllable answer causes Ramiel to quiet and watch us for a split second, but when we smile down at him, he starts moving his mouth again, vocalizing and creating spit bubbles.

Angel crawls off the couch and removes the lid from the dish, "Your wedding cake?!" I see a sentimental expression cross her pretty face and her hand moves to cover her heart, "Awww, that's romantic," she offers to Prince, he nods a quick acknowledgment before returning his attention back to Ramiel. "Come on," Angel pats Marcus's arm and leads him back towards the kitchen.

Moments later, Angel and Marcus return carrying slices of the cake on small plates, joining us in the living room to talk for a bit. I glance worriedly toward Derik, for fear of waking him up, but as Angel takes a bite of cake, she shakes her head, then waves the now empty fork, indicating that he'll be fine. Automatically, I unsnap Ramiel's jumper and check his diaper, Prince is already reaching for the diaper bag alongside him. As I wipe and dry Ramiel, Angel chuckles, "Derik wanted to know why Ramiel's pee-pee looks different than his."