Part 51

After a short visit and a quick feeding,  Prince stands, removing Ramiel from my arms, "We'd better be going." 

Unfortunately, we have to take two cars, because we can't fit everyone into ours with the infant carrier. Derik chooses to ride with us and we find ourselves grinning at each other as we watch him interact with Ramiel in the backseat.  My grin turns into teary smile of admiration when Prince turns into the driveway of the Vineyard, the glow on his face shows he is pleased by my reaction.  I knew the Vineyard would come into play sometime this weekend, but I wasn't expecting it for our little dinner. 

He pulls the car past the barn and parks, Marcus pulls alongside and does the same.  It's still early evening and the air is warm, but I know the autumn crispness will be creeping in soon after sunset.   After we get Ramiel out and into his stroller, we're lead to a lone table set up by the caterer that Prince has hired for this evening.   The sun setting lower over the horizon makes the scene absolutely picture perfect.  "Prince, this is beautiful," I say as I wrap my arm around his and kiss his cheek.

"Thank you, Sugar," he grins, looking pleased as he wheels Ramiel's stroller to one end of the table, and then politely pulls out a chair for me

When Prince moves to stand behind the chair across from me, he motions for Marcus, Derik, and Angel to be seated first.  With some awkward, last minute scrambling, since Derik is torn who he wants to sit by, we finally get seated.   Marcus has been moved to the end of the table by default, Derik by Prince and Angel by me.   As the laughter dies down from our little game of musical chairs, I admit to Prince, "I was worried you had arranged dinner at some fine-dining restaurant."  I look around at our little group, "This is perfect."

Angel jokingly flashes a look, "What are you saying here? Embarrassed to be seen with us?"

"Noooo," I enunciate it clearly, play slapping her arm, "I'm saying that we can relax and be ourselves.  A four month old and a five year old make things a little less predictable for a restaurant situation."  I repay her for her earlier comment to Prince by sticking out my tongue.  Angel laughs, but doesn't play when she slaps my arm.  "Ouch, Angel," I say and rub my arm. 

Prince shakes his head as he watches on, "And you were worried about the children," he jabs.  "Don't make me separate you two," he says in a good-natured manner. 

Within minutes, our wine is poured, non alcoholic for Derik and I, soon to followed by salads and the most decadently fluffy croissant I had ever eaten, so light that it actually melted on my tongue.  The main course is vegetarian and delicious, as anyone would have assumed. I smile when Derik is served, "Chicken strips?" I mouth the question across the table. Prince smiles, winks and extends his hands to do air quotes, I nod subtly, so not real chicken. 

During the dinner conversation, Marcus's plans to move comes up. "Any prospects?" I ask about his house hunting.

"Well, yes and no," Marcus grins at Angel.  I frown and wait for him to continue.  "I was finally able to track down the owners of the two empty lots your subdivision.  They've accepted my offer and I meet with a builder tomorrow."