Chapter Seven Danger in the air

Ain't no rest for the wicked- Cage the Elephant.

    I got home and literally ran through the doors. They could have followed me. They could have read my license. They could have done anything. Hazel. I shake my head. Hazel was holding a gun to the man's head. He had a silencer on the gun. Did I just witness a murder? I shake my head. What is wrong with me? Why can't I just stay out of trouble? Life would be boring if there wasn't trouble. Yes, but I can still complain about it.

     I walk into the living room to find Sam sitting on the couch. I narrow my eyes and slowly walk towards her as she turns around, and her brown eyes meet mine. "How'd you get in here?" I ask as she smirks and stands up. Uh oh. She's dressed up. She's wearing black leather tights and a white ruffle shirt with silver heels and a pearl necklace around her neck. This isn't good at all. She's dressed up, and she's wearing makeup.

     "Your window was open." She says as I study her hair. She had her long hair curled and around her shoulders, that went down a few inches above her waist. I step forward, still studying her wearily. "Why are you staring at me like that?"

     "Why are you dressed like that?" I ask. I'm good with answering a question with a question. Sam looks down at herself and then back at me with narrow eyes.

     "Do I look bad?" She asks, confused as I shake my head.

     "No, you look nice," I say, taking another step into my living room. "Why? Why do you look nice?" She shrugs.

     "Can't a girl look nice once in a while?" She asks innocently. She is so up to something. What is it though? I narrow my eyes and cross my arms. She must've caught on to my thoughts somehow because she scowls. "Fine, go upstairs and change clothes. We have somewhere we need to be." I raise an eyebrow. I don't remember making any type of plans tonight.

     "We? We have somewhere we need to be, or somewhere you need to be?" I ask as she rolls her eyes.

     "There's a bonfire out in the woods. The fire is supposed to be huge, and there will be drinks there. Please come. Please, I won't ask for anything ever." I look at her blankly. I knew that wasn't true.

     "A bonfire in the middle of the woods? That sounds creepy and dangerous." Plus if Hazel goes, he could kill me easily, and no one would know it was him. I don't wanna die. Seeing him kill someone gives him an excuse to kill me. He's wanted to kill me for a long time now, and now he has an actual excuse. I shake my head.

     "It sounds fun and exciting." She says. "Come on. What happened to the girl who jumped off a cliff the other day? I want that girl's attitude back. Come on please, Rex. Please. It's Friday. We need to do something." Wait a second. Dallas knows where I live. Dallas could be on his way here right now, planning to put a bullet in my head. If we went to the bonfire, Dallas wouldn't know. He wouldn't know where I am. Looks like I'm going. I groan.

     "Fine." I say, walking towards the stairs as she claps with excitement.

     "Yay, I'm gonna pick out your outfit." She squeals and runs past me. What did I get myself into? I shake my head, watching her get to the top of the stairs and then run into my room. The things I do to live.

* * *

     I pull up to the spot seeing a big fire quite a distance away. That must be a big fire if I can see it from here. I get off after Sam, and we make our way to the fire together. The music was loud and upbeat; the closer we got, the more vibration we felt under our feet. I could see a lot of people around the fire, some dancing, some drinking, some eating each other's faces. Gross.