Chapter Fifty-Four Boss' Orders

Talk- Daya

(Dallas's POV)

     I sit on the couch waiting for, I don't really know what, I am just waiting. Maybe I'm not waiting at all, I am just sitting here because I know better than trying to go back to sleep, especially with Rex how she is right now. With all the nightmares she's been having, I just feel so bad for her. How can I deal with her knowing there's nothing I can do to help her? Besides, she literally just pushed me away. I did as much as I could do, at least, I think I did. I hope I did.

     I sigh picking up the remote and turning on the tv. I keep the volume on low, just in case, and I flip through the channels. I lay across the couch getting comfortable when I hear something that sounds like it is coming from outside like metal clattering against a wall. I know what it is instantly. Rex. She must have jumped out the window. Did she really have to jump to the fire escape on the other building? I thought since I moved the mattresses she wouldn't keep running away like this. Is it worth it?

     Does she really need out this badly? Do I bother her that much? I shake my head and continue laying back. Maybe she really does need it. Maybe I should stop chasing her every time and just let her be. Maybe if I show her that I'm not going to come after her everywhere, she'll stop running away. Maybe I just need to let her out once in a while. I do always keep her trapped in like a prisoner in a cell. I can't do that to her anymore. If she wants out, I should let her go. She knows what she needs, what do I know?

     Should I stop her? What if the one time I don't go out and follow her, something terrible or stupid happens? What if she gets hurt? She always seems to get hurt when I'm not around. She was shot when I wasn't there. She was beaten up when I wasn't there. No, Dallas. She always chooses to run away from you. If she wants to run, just let her run. You shouldn't have to chase her all the time. You shouldn't have to follow her all the time. Let Rex do whatever she wants to do. If she gets hurt, oh well, she ran away from you.

     Maybe she'll learn her lesson. I shake my head. Why am I thinking like this? I shouldn't. No matter what Rex does, I should always try to protect her. So, why aren't I moving now? Why aren't I going to stop her now? Shouldn't I? She is running away, shouldn't I run after her? Well, what if I'm tired of running after her? What if I just want to sit here and rest? Dallas, you should know better. Rex is like a baby. You have to watch them every second because if you look away for even a second, they'll do something stupid.

     My phone starts ringing and I take in a deep breath before pulling it out of my pocket and looking at the caller ID. Eddie. I answer and put the phone to my ear. "What's up?" I ask, sitting up again.

     "Boss is getting worse." He says. "This whole thing is getting worse." I hear a motorcycle start and I look toward the window behind me.

     "There she goes." I mumble.

     "There who goes?" He asks and I shake my head.

     "No one," I say, rubbing my jaw. I need to shave. "Where are you?"

     "Well," He starts. "I am outside of a club right now." I narrow my eyes and mute the tv as I hear the engine of a motorcycle take off. Why'd it take her so long to leave? I shake my head.

     "Why are you outside of a club right now?" I ask, looking at the time and stifling a yawn. "It's past midnight."

     "When has time ever stopped you from doing anything, Dallas?" He asks and I roll my eyes.

     "This isn't about me, and I was only asking, not judging." I hesitate. "Is anything interesting happening?"

   "Well, I'm outside of the club, so I wouldn't know." He says. "Is Rex asleep?" I give a short laugh.