Chapter Seventy-Three Red Lasor Beam

There's Nothing Holding Me Back- Shawn Mendes

    "Sorry," I start, raising my arms, "but I think I'd actually rather be in court than trapped in here with you two." I start to open the door but Rocco slams it shut again. "Come on, Rocco," I complain. "They probably don't even know where we are. They probably don't know anything. How would they know if I was going to court today or not? My dad needs me today and besides, I still have Dallas' gun. If anyone gives me trouble I know how to pull a trigger."

     "Sorry, but I'd rather not give Dallas a reason to kill me," Rocco says and I look at Dallas, who is crossing his arms. I am not going to be stuck here with these two maniacs! "I'm not letting you out of here." Great, I assume Dallas won't want me leaving either, so it's two against one. This isn't fair at all. Why do I even deal with these people? They're insane!

     "You have my gun?" Dallas asks and I give him a look. They are completely insane! If I'm here any longer, I end up like them. A shiver runs through my spine. I have to get out of here—the bedroom window.

     "Was that all you got from what I said? That I have your gun?" I ask and I laugh without humor heading into the bedroom, hearing them slowly follow me. I open up the drawer in my nightstand pulling out the gun and tossing it to him as he fumbles with it before finally holding it steadily in his hands. "Now, Dallas, I know I was giving you trouble about it earlier, but you're right, I do need to go to court for my father. He needs to me today. I have to be there for him." Dallas and Rocco share a look, but it is nothing good.

     "Rex-"Dallas sighs.

     "Dallas, you know how important this is to my father. To my life. What's the point of keeping me here to protect me if I'm going to end up with my mom after today?" He sighs again and looks away from my pleading eyes. Rocco is more stern.

     "David will kill you, Ryder." Rocco shakes his head. "You're staying with us."

     "Funny, when I had that concussion, I heard you say I'd be better off away from you guys. When will you get a break, right?" Rocco sighs, looking down. "This is what you want? Isn't it? I'll be forced out of here and back to Minnesota. Don't worry, if I'm not in court today, I won't be your problem anymore tomorrow."

     "Rex-" He starts.

     "Just because I have to stay in this building with you does not mean I have to be in the same room," I growl, stepping forward. "Now get out." Rocco leaves, but Dallas hesitates and continues standing there so I just keep staring at him.

     "Don't get any stupid ideas," Dallas says. Sweetie, all I have are stupid ideas. I continue glaring at him until he finally walks out of the room leaving the door open. I open my mouth to protest. "I don't trust you, so this door stays open." I close my mouth and cross my arms.

     "What if I need to change clothes?" I argue. He can not do this to me! It's like he can read my mind! I don't like it. Rocco sits down on the couch as Dallas sighs.

     "Go to the bathroom." He shrugs before he sits in the couch next to Rocco, and they both turn their attention to the tv. Wow, they're just giving me more reasons to want to get out of here, and the more reasons I have, the more determination I have. But first, Dallas reminded me, I do need to go to the bathroom. I need a shower. Badly. I grab a towel from the closet and I go to the Bathroom closing the door behind me. I set the towel on the toilet seat lid and I look around the bathroom. I hope the shower is nice. I could use something nice in this hellhole.

     I turn the shower on and I begin to take off my clothes letting the water heat up before I get it and close my eyes as I feel the comforting feeling of the warm water on my skin. Why does it always feel so good? Showers always calm me down, they always allow me to think. Which is a problem when you don't want to think. I grab the Dove soap and I begin to scrub my body when my eyes land on my scar. Jay. With what Roscoe did, I'm surprised he didn't scratch out Jay's name and carve his own. Dane got me out of there. Roscoe broke my trust. What happened to him?