Chapter Seventy-Six Jump To Conclusions

The Phoenix- Fall Out Boy

(Rocco's POV)

     "I don't have time to argue," I say to Ryder as I wrap Dallas' arm around my shoulders, standing him up. "You're staying here, and I'm taking him to the hospital." I walk out of the bedroom feeling Dallas putting more and more weight on me, but I didn't care. My adrenaline was kicking, and the only thought running through my head was that I needed to help Dallas. I need to save Dallas. I need to save Dallas for me, for Boss, for Eddie, for Leo, even though he's now gone. I needed to save Dallas for Ryder. Especially her. Whether she likes it or not, she loves him, and I know how it feels to lose the one you love.

     It's not a good feeling. I don't want Ryder to go through what I went through. That's why I have to save Dallas. That's why I need to. I shake my head and hurry out the front door as I groan, tightening my grip on his. "Dallas," I say, glancing at his pale face. His eyes flutter open and he weakly looks at me. "You've got to be kidding me." I mutter under my breath.

     "Where's Rex?" He asks weakly, and I feel my heart pick up the pace.

     "She's in your apartment," I say as we get outside, and I fumble for my keys. I unlock my car and open the passenger door, sitting him down in his seat before I run around to the driver's side and get in.

     "I don't want her to be alone." Dallas says. I shake my head. He sounded like he could die any second. I couldn't let him die. I shove the keys into the ignition and start the car before quickly putting it in drive and speeding off. "Rocco." He winces.

     "She'll be fine," I say quickly, blurting things out. "She knows how to take care of herself. She's Ryder the boxer, and she's strong. She'll be fine, Dallas."

     "She's what?!" He asks angrily pushing himself up in his seat.

     "What?"

     "You just said she's Ryder the boxer." He says, and I narrow my eyes.

     "I did?" I run a hand through my hair as I speed through a red light, slightly chuckling.

     "You did," Dallas says turning toward me. "Rocco..."

     "Okay." I sigh. "When she fought Boss, that wasn't her first fight Dallas. That's why she was so good. She was the hooded person who flipped us off that one night. Holding up her taped fingers, remember? Not the night in Ohio, the first time. Even though it was her in Ohio too."

     "I remember." Dallas says, slowly looking out the window as I turn right. I see the hospital ahead and I speed up.

     "She was gonna tell you," I say nodding. "I don't know when, but I know she was going to tell you." He doesn't respond. "I'm serious. She was going to." He doesn't respond again, and I look at him worriedly. "Dallas?" His eyes were closed and he didn't look like he was breathing. You've got to be kidding me. I slam my foot down on the gas before taking a sharp right turn, causing my car to drift. I pull up at the entrance and park the car jumping out of my door. I run around to Dallas throwing his door open. The weight of his unconscious body hits me as he falls onto my chest.

     "Dallas." I say, slapping his right cheek slightly, but nothing happens. I shake my head and step back before throwing him over my shoulder and running back around my car and through the automatic doors. Everyone seems to freeze when I run inside and look around frantically for someone to help.

     "What happened?!" A nurse asks.

     "He was shot. He's not breathing. He needs help now." I say quickly, and immediately, nurses begin to move into action. One pulls a stretcher toward me and they help me gently lay him down on it as they talk to each other quickly and prepare him before they begin rushing down the hall away from me.