Chapter Forty-Six Do Anything Irrational

What kind of Gone- Chris Cagle

     I bring snacks into the bedroom, laying them on the bed as Dallas just watches me with his arms crossed and a blank expression. Always so blank. I go out getting more snacks, bringing them into the bedroom also and setting them up to where it looks kind of neat, kind of nice. "I don't want to ask, but what are you doing?" Dallas asks. I roll my eyes ignoring him. I made an agreement to myself that I wouldn't start talking until they were both here in this room, so that means no talking for me.

     Well, as long as Dallas doesn't make me, actually. I just have to keep my eye out for him, and he's a sneaky one. I stare at the snacks for a second longer before walking toward the doorway. Just as I am about to step through the doorway, Dallas sticks out his arm, stopping me. "Really, you're ignoring me now?" He asks. I roll my eyes and cross my arms over my chest. Should I tell him why I'm not talking or just let this play out? I don't know, and it's kind of fun watching him get irritated by me not talking.

     "You're ignoring me when you're the one who said we're all having this talk. You didn't really give us a choice and now you're not going to talk?" I step back and look at him as he puts his arm back at his side. How long can I pull this off? Well, how long will it take Sam to get here? She could be here any minute. Do I really wanna piss Dallas off before we have a serious talk? It's probably not the best idea I've come up with.

     "I've decided on not talking until Sam gets here." I say before taking a step to leave, but he sticks out his arm again, stopping me. My lord, what does he want? Can't he just let me do my own thing? I let out an annoyed sigh, looking at him again. "What?" I ask, annoyed. It doesn't take him long to get me annoyed. It's somehow easy for him. How can he get me annoyed so easily? The same way, you can make him mad in a blink of an eye.

     "You never answered my question." He says, keeping his arm up. So what? He's gonna block me in here? "What are you doing?" I glance over his arm toward the kitchen, seeing if I need anything else. Anything could happen when we have this talk. Anything. I don't think we need more snacks. Drinks though. Drinks we need.

     "I'm getting snacks." I say, staring at the full bottle of Coke I see. It's not going anywhere, Ryder. You don't have to stare at it. I hope anyway.

     "What? Why?" He asks and I look at him, as he puts his arm down. Maybe if I make a run for it... no, he's fast when he's not running anyway.

     "Because I know you and Sam. When Sam is in the middle of a serious conversation, she likes to eat. And you. You'll start eating if someone asks you a question just so you don't have to answer it or maybe so you have time to think. I haven't really figured that one out yet." I say, tapping my chin with my finger as if thinking.

     "I don't do that." He says and I give him a look.

     "Yeah, we'll see about that." I say, turning around and sitting on the bed. Who needs Coke anyway. We don't need a drink. If they get thirsty, there's a bathroom with running water. They can get a drink. I sigh, swinging my legs onto the bed and sitting crisscross apple sauce, and staring at the snacks I chose. A bag of Lays original. A bag of Lays BBQ. A bowl of guacamole and a bag of tortilla chips to go with it. I think we have enough, even if I was planning on taking the whole bag of BBQ. I had to have a long debate about which to take for myself.

      They're both so good. Lays original is salty and amazing and Lays BBQ is, well, BBQ but full of flavor. Wait. Do I really want the BBQ ones, or do I want the original? Oh no, again, with this. "Listen, Rex, I was thinking..." Dallas starts, but I continue staring at the bag of chips. "What's wrong?" I sigh, shaking my head. He wouldn't understand. "No, really, tell me what's wrong." He comes over and sits on the bed in front of me.