Chapter Thirty-Six It's Like A Trust Fall

Him and I- Halsey and G-Easy

     I wonder how mad Dallas is. Like on a scale of one to ten. Probably a million. Billion. Trillion. He hadn't called me since three nights ago after I flinched when he raised his hand. For some reason, I want to apologize to him, to explain. That's not me. I never feel bad. Why should I feel bad? He raised his hand. He left and I don't know whether to be grateful or worried or anything. Sam says he's probably pouting around at his apartment or eating away his pain. I can't complain about it or anything. That's what I do every day.

     I stare out the slightly closed window, which lets a small stream of light into my dark room. What else am I supposed to do? I don't want to go out there and deal with Sam. No offense to her or anything, but she is just... I don't know... irritating to me today. Maybe it is because I am tired and didn't sleep last night. That's most likely the reason. When I'm tired, it's hard for me to deal with anything. That's no joke. I let out a breath, and I turn away from the window.

     "I don't think that she wants to-" My door suddenly opens, taking me by surprise as I jump, wince, and pull the covers up to my face. Dallas strolls in with Sam on his tail, trying to stop him. "See you." She says as if she's given up. What the hell does he want? He walks to me and throws the blankets to the other side of the bed, giving me time only to say-

     "What the hell are-" He grabs my arms pulling me off the bed as well as cutting my sentence off. Maybe that's a good thing. I don't think he wants to hear the end of that sentence. We stand together, face to face, him holding both my shoulders and me gripping his forearms tightly. I look to Sam for help, but she raises her arms and backs away through the door.

     "Yeah, I'm out of here." Sam sighs, leaving Dallas and me alone. I think about shouting her name, making her come back, but then again, why should I? She is already out the door and probably won't do anything anyway. This is her brother.

     "We're going out." He says and I bring my eyes back to him, a little confused.

     "We?" I ask and he nods.

     "Yes. We."

     "When did I agree to go out with you?" I ask as a smile starts to form on his face. This isn't good.

     "You didn't." He says, letting go of my shoulders and stepping back. "But we're going out anyways. My decision, not yours. You don't get to argue." I study him for a few seconds, thinking of my options. On the one hand, I can go with him willingly without any arguing, do whatever he has planned, maybe have fun, and get out of the house. On the other hand, I can argue just for fun, be as slow as humanly possible, and make him feel like this is the worst idea he's ever had. Huh? Which one sounds more fun?

     "Why?" I ask with narrow eyes.

     "No questions asked either." He says, pointing at me. I give him a blank look and wait for him to answer me. He will sooner or later. "I'm not answering your question until you're ready and outside in..." He pauses, thinking as I wait, almost amused. How long does he think it'll take to get ready? "Ten minutes."

     "You remember I was beaten up to the point where Pam thought I was dying, right?" I ask, and he hesitates, looking over me.

     "I'll be waiting outside. And grab some painkillers." He leaves the room, leaving me standing there staring at the wide open door. My God, this boy.

     "You left the-" he closes the door as my eyebrows raise. I guess he's smarter than I thought. I get dressed in comfortable clothes, sit on my bed, watch time pass by, and then finally walk out the doors. Dallas is already glaring at me from the couch, so I try to fight a smile.