Chapter Forty-Nine Just Follow Me

Habits- Tove Lo

     "You can't keep me locked up in here forever." I say crossing my arms as Dallas glances at me over the magazine he's currently reading. Since when does he even read magazines? I honestly think it's just something that he can pretend to read to get out of anything. I mean, that's what he's doing now, isn't it?

     "You wanna bet?" He asks, raising an eyebrow. I roll my eyes slumping down in the chair more and crossing my arms. He's so annoying- it's annoying. I glare at the magazine he's reading, debating on burning it or not. That's probably not the best idea. It could make him mad and then I'd be stuck in here with an angry Dallas. And trust me, that's never good.

      "I don't understand why I have to stay here. What's the big deal?" I ask as he glances down at the magazine and then back at me. I sigh waiting for him to answer but he stays quiet staring at me. So I do what I always do best, I stare back.

     "The big deal is my boss wants to meet you." He says not looking at me, reading the magazine again now. He seems bored, awe poor him. I roll my eyes. Wait. His boss wants to meet me? That's the problem? Shouldn't he do what he's told? What's the big deal about me meeting his boss? She seemed nice anyway. We could be friends.

     "And why's that a big deal?" I ask, almost lost. He groans and turns the magazine page angrily. Awe, am I distracting him? That poor baby. I roll my eyes again shifting in my chair, staring out the open window. If we're hiding, wouldn't he be closing all the windows? So the people can't see in? Or is he just extremely stupid and I'm the smart one? The world may never know. Oh shut up, the world definitely already knows.

     "I don't know why she wants to talk to you." He states, acting uninterested in this conversation. Well, that's too bad, because he's keeping things from me and I want to know what's going on. But will I ever get what I want out of him? No, probably not, because Dallas is good at keeping secrets.

     "Why are you scared about me meeting her?" I ask. He groans again and closes the magazine angrily before he looks at me. He looks annoyed. "Oh, I'm sorry am I distracting you? I'm sorry I just want answers." I stand up and walk around my chair to the open window. I look up at the sun being blinded instantly so I look down at the ground, trying to blink the dots from my vision.

     "I know you want answers." He says, which makes me roll my eyes. "But I don't know. I just don't want you to meet my boss. It's not a good idea, and she's not known to be friendly with anyone. Besides, she said either we bring you to her, or she'll bring the whole gang and take you."

     "So you're gonna keep me locked up in an apartment where if she does come we'll be surrounded by your gang and then I'll be taken and you'll be on bad terms with your boss while they do whatever she wants to do to me because you'll probably be dead?" I say turning and looking at him. He stares at me for a few seconds before turning his eyes to the floor. He is thinking, but he looks like he's searching for answers on the tile floor. That's not how it works Dallas.

     "I don't know, Rex." He says after a few long seconds of uncomfortable silence. I face him, my hands behind my back as I start to slowly lift up the window.

     "Well, when you figure it out," I say as the window gets as high up as it will go. "Let me know." He looks up with narrow eyes and I quickly turn around and jump out the window landing on the fire escape.

     "Rex!" He shouts angrily. I quickly get up and start running down the wobbly stairs turning and turning and turning, and going down and down. He doesn't have to run down the stairs, he's probably running down the stairs in the building. He could very well be outside already. That would be just perfect. I roll my eyes and the fire escape ends and I run out of the alley looking to see Dallas come out of the building. He glares at me and I groan annoyed that I was caught.